The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear Light Refurb

Adam Kindness

Nice one Adam they look great. One of my rear lights sometimes gets a small amount of condensation in it so iI was going to have to refurb it soon but will now alo be painting it having seen yours. The pictures are quite self explanatory but could you please give details as to how long/what temo they go in the :flame Dev oven:flame Dev for.

Cheers.

i followed the instructions on this site, but just swapped front lights for rear!

Remove lights, the remove all bits the casing etc... slap in the oven at 150c for about 5mins..... take out... work the glue loose.... put back in if needed... till there free.....

ps - watch your hands on the metal frame part on one off the side... i cought it on my arm..... it feckin hurt!!!

:stupid:

Do many people connect the brake lights with the fog lights so that when brake lights come on you get the fogs coming on at the same time? In effect giving you four brake lights and the high visibility one under the spoiler. It would realy tell people behind you that you were braking (not that current setup doesn't already).

Originally posted by AJI

Do many people connect the brake lights with the fog lights so that when brake lights come on you get the fogs coming on at the same time? In effect giving you four brake lights and the high visibility one under the spoiler. It would realy tell people behind you that you were braking (not that current setup doesn't already).

Yep, did that with my UK spec - i really wanted twin brakes ala JSpec, but didn't want to pay 100's a year for the privelege.

Wired them up with a couple of relays - allows the fogs to still override when switched on.

Dean.

The hi-level rear light (below spoiler) has never lit up on mine in 5yrs of ownership yet has passed 5 M.O.Ts with no query on it. Going by Darbys comments I take it it's supposed to, hmmm. Can any one shine any (prefarebly hi-level) light on the spec of this on a U.K TT ?.

• 7 months later...

Adam, I have been looking at the job you have done on the rear lights and it is exactly what I am looking to do.

You say that the procedure to seperate the parts is the same as the front lights ie heat treatment, but where can I find this information? I assume you used aerosol can for the job?

All info. would be greatfully received.

Ta

Ian

theres a guide on this site somewhere.....

remove lights from car, remove all metal bits n bobs off em...

stick em in the oven for 5mins or so at 160 deg, take out, prize apart, repeat till you have them seperated....

refitting is just a reverse of that, heat up glue and stick em back together