The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear light conversion.

Guest Rays the roof

Guest Rays the roof

Ok few people asked how to do conversion to clear repeaters so 'idiots guide' (I should know...) to follow:

1) Open boot;

2) Remove two 10mm bolts (Top and side of light fitting);

3) Prise out unit gently. Held in place by plastic clip that is fairly sturdy;

4) Remove 4 light bulbs;

5) Unscrew row of tiny Phillips screws on rear of unit. Think there are 3 or 4;

6) Place unit in an oven 80 - 90C for 15 minutes to soften glue/sealant; Too cold and unit is very hard to separate, too hot and you will end up with banana shaped plastic lens. Best bet, start cold and increase heat gradually until adhesive softens.

7) TRICKY BIT - using a steel or plastic rule prise open the 3 small locators on the bottom of the unit and then prise the edges. Do this pretty quickly before the adhesive cools and stiffens up again. Then placing fingers in unit pull apart slowly but firmly. If plastic starts to curl on the edges the glus is too stiff, so warm up again;

8) 2 phillips screws to release out light cluster;

9) Next tricky bit to pop out orange lens using small screwdriver (best bet is make it a two man job and get help);

10) Snap plastic clips off back of clear lens and push them in place (be firm but fair); DON'T try push them in straight, but at an angle facing the same direction as the other lens. Some people talk about grinding the edge of the lens down. This is not neccessary and could result in a cracked lens (which we don't want);

11) 2 phillips to screw cluster back in then back into the oven for 15 minutes;

12) Push lens and backing together and pay attention to 3 locators on underside of lens;

13) Replace tiny Phillips screws while unit is hot as this aids seal;

14) Once cool loads of silicone sealant (clear acetoxy, smells like vinegar) is most flexible and durable. Pay particular attention to top corners where lens meets top plastic fender and location points underneath;

15) Once silicone has cured (leave overnight) screw in bulb holders, (remember to change the indicator bulb for orange-glow one) and clip unit back in place;

16) Two bolts to hold it firm and hey presto look at my tasty rear end!!!!

Any problems or further questions/comments let me know.

Good luck

Ray

Where's the photo of your tasty rear end! :)

Seriously, great post. I'll be attempting this in the future, so will print this out before I forget.

Is the only way of getting the clear lenses from other Supes, or can you buy them new?

I want one!!!!! Those lights are the prettiest i have seen yet!!! lol they would look good on my car too. How much did they cost if you dont mind my asking???? I want to know so i know how much i have to aim for. Many thanks. Oh by the way do you still have that piece of Ali cover spare???? :D

Regards,

Sheena :thanku:

Guest Rays the roof
Where's the photo of your tasty rear end! :)

Is the only way of getting the clear lenses from other Supes, or can you buy them new?

Am trying to get lens direct from Japan and will let you know!

Guest Rays the roof
Sounds fair mate,Ive got 2 clear covers if anyone wants them??

As I am doing led conversions and started this thread, I think I should have them....(PM'd you).

:dummy:

£ $ waiting!

Guest Rays the roof
I want one!!!!! Those lights are the prettiest i have seen yet!!! lol they would look good on my car too. How much did they cost if you dont mind my asking???? I want to know so i know how much i have to aim for. Many thanks. Oh by the way do you still have that piece of Ali cover spare???? :D

Regards,

Sheena :thanku:

Glad you like them! Yes still have that bit so PM me your address.

Once I have enough bits I will start taking orders. Cost will be approx £100 based on an exchange for your own.

Will offer options as follows:

1) Choice of colours for plastic surround to match your car or be total contrast (maybe one of you paintshop pro's can moke me something up??)

2) Choice of lens - clear instead of orange, two frosted red's, maybe all clears depending how many I can get

3) Leds in orange or red lens

4) Basically anyother wierd and wonderful ideas may be catered for.

PS to the moderators. I am not a trader and will be doing this in my spare time, for club members only and not making a profit (well just a little to cover the wine I will be drinking whilst making them - LOL!).

Guest Rays the roof

Will photograph each stage of the next conversion I do. Might even video it if I can get a volunteer like Al - bit like 'Home Improvements' without the humour!

;)

Guest Rays the roof
When can we get a set then, Ray? ETA please?

Got lights on the way and as soon as I am ready to rock and roll will put up a post in 'Mkiv parts for sale'.

What are you thinking of??

• 4 months later...

I have taken some photo's which might help some people on here, as i have just done my indicators...

1) Open boot;

2) Remove two 10mm bolts (Top and side of light fitting);

3) Prise out unit gently. Held in place by plastic clip that is fairly sturdy;

4) Remove 4 light bulbs;

5) Unscrew row of tiny Phillips screws on rear of unit, there are 3 shown at the bottom of the picture:

6) Place unit in an oven 80 - 90C for 15 minutes to soften glue/sealant; Too cold and unit is very hard to separate, too hot and you will end up with banana shaped plastic lens. Best bet, start cold and increase heat gradually until adhesive softens. -- my oven was set to 75C

7) TRICKY BIT - using a steel or plastic rule prise open the 3 small locators on the bottom of the unit and then prise the edges. Do this pretty quickly before the adhesive cools and stiffens up again. Then placing fingers in unit pull apart slowly but firmly. If plastic starts to curl on the edges the glus is too stiff, so warm up again;

8) 2 phillips screws to release out light cluster;

9) Next tricky bit to pop out orange lens using small screwdriver (best bet is make it a two man job and get help);

10) Snap plastic clips off back of clear lens and push them in place (be firm but fair); DON'T try push them in straight, but at an angle facing the same direction as the other lens. Some people talk about grinding the edge of the lens down. This is not neccessary and could result in a cracked lens (which we don't want);

I did however file a slight chamfer on the bottom of the lense as there is a locating tab, this is because the first time i tried to push in the new lense it scraped the silver paint a little :(

11) 2 phillips to screw cluster back in then back into the oven for 15 minutes;

12) Push lens and backing together and pay attention to 3 locators on underside of lens;

13) Replace tiny Phillips screws while unit is hot as this aids seal;

14) Once cool loads of silicone sealant (clear acetoxy, smells like vinegar) is most flexible and durable. Pay particular attention to top corners where lens meets top plastic fender and location points underneath;

15) Once silicone has cured (leave overnight) screw in bulb holders, (remember to change the indicator bulb for orange-glow one) and clip unit back in place;

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
lights look awesome :) but where do people get the bulbs from???

Are these the correct ones?

Does anyone sell chrome fog light bulbs for the rear clear lense?

I purchased these. Quick delivery, do the job nicely. One slight issue may be the MOT. If your tester is being really mean they might fail it for not being really bright orange (should be OK though).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250112966657&rd=1&rd=1