The mkiv Supra Owners Club

mkiv UK Alarm Problems!!!

Guest Rash

hi guys/gals,

need your help here, had the Supra parked up for about a month. Went to start it up today and the battery was dead. Put some Jump-Leads to it and the alarm started to sound off.

Now here's my problem - the bloody alarm wont stop sounding off (standard Toyota jobby) it swithces off after 30 seconds then as soon as i open the door - off it bloody goes again.

try to start the car and it is immobilised. The little red security light stays on and wont go off. Changed the battery of the Fob and still the same..

So..... whats up....?

Cheers

p.s. The Siren under the hood has a key hole into which i put the key thinking it would override the alarm but instead it just makes the siren sound off louder...

Worked for me too !! but later my key fobs started to play up and a very long story unfolds, but the short of it was if you are keeping your Sup like I plan too !! it may be worth considering longterm a New Alarm and rip out the old which after 8 years or so of service (depending on the age of your Sup) has seen better days and is wearing out ! and by the way the original Sup Alarm is no longer Thacham 1 approved and is now down graded to category 2

Now have Clifford 650 (G5 Technology) the latest with proximity..... so far so good :o)

Rgds :o)

All things deteriate in time and Technology has moved on hence the down grading of the original spec Alarm.

Obviously if his Toyota Alarm gets sorted the decision to replace will then be based on whether he wants Cat 1 or 2 status for Insurance / protection of vehicle etc ?

Best Rgds

and by the way the original Sup Alarm is no longer Thacham 1 approved and is now down graded to category 2

That's not possible. Not unless Toyota bought the rights for the alarm from Scorpion, (who have now gone bust), and then re-submitted it to the MIRRC. Bearing in mind this would cost the best part of £10k, and it would have failed due to the change is standards these days..... I can't see Toyota would have re-submitted it.

It has been deleted as a Category 1 alarm system now, but that only applies to any vehicle that had the system installed after October 1998. Seeing at the UK Supra was discontinued in August 1996, it'll still be classed as a Category 1 system on all factory fitted UK Supra's.

The car battery has been fully charged but i cannot still start the car :(

As soon as i turn to iginition it sets off...

I can however hear a buzzing sound coming from the rear inside of the car as soon as i put the key in it.... is this related...? it stays on for about 20 seconds after i take the key out also...

Another thing when you activate your alarm does the red LED stay on or flash on/off - mine currently stays on and does not flash.

Cheers

p.s. tried the dome fuse also but no joy :(

The car battery has been fully charged but i cannot still start the car

As soon as i turn to iginition it sets off...

I can however hear a buzzing sound coming from the rear inside of the car as soon as i put the key in it.... is this related...? it stays on for about 20 seconds after i take the key out also...

Another thing when you activate your alarm does the red LED stay on or flash on/off - mine currently stays on and does not flash.

Cheers

p.s. tried the dome fuse also but no joy

-------------------------------------------------

cannot get into the car using the fobs - they will not unlock the doors or disarm the alarm... have changed the battery on the fobs also...

Hi mate,

well the car was unplugged for a couple of hours whilst i was getting the battery charged up... so no joy there either...

Any1 have any other ideas - or i;ll probably have to call an electrician chappy to give it a once over...

Cheers anyways Guys,

I had this with my other UK car.....

the upshot was, when the battery fails the alarm is still armed, you try to jump start the car, the alarm gets power back & is triggered, the jump start can also 'Spike' the alarm which requires a new control box ( about £140 from Toyota) which is why it is reccommened the de-activate the alarm before removing the battery.

there was a long thread about this a long time ago...... I was not the only one this happen to

John

I had exactly the same problem last week. Tried everything, but nothing worked UNTIL I left the battery disconnected for a few minutes rather than a few seconds. Then I put the key in and out of the ignition a few times, then pressed the alarm button and then everything went back to normal. Basically if you keep playing around with it I think eventually it will kick back into life.

Also, apparently if you hold down the two buttons on the alarm keyfob for 10 seconds it re-synchronizes itself to the alarm.

If all else fails you can send the alarm box and key back to Scorpion where they will reprogram it. Costs about £30.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,tried messing with the key/ignition with no luck - so i'll probably just take it down to Toyota and see what they've got to say...

Another thing is when the siren is sounding the indicators of the car normally 'flash' on and off - mine currently just stay on when the alarm sounds rather than flash.....

Rash.