The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TOMS ECU Test

Nic

Borrowed a TOMS Tech II ECU today to test on my car. The ECU has a different fuel/timing map and is claimed to increase a stock J-spec power by 40-50bhp.

Once fitted I took my car for a test drive, I started the run with the boost controller turned off to see what difference it made, there was no obvious power increase, but it really made the engine feel a lot smoother, livelier and torquier through the entire rev range, especially between 3-5000rpm. I then tested it with the boost controller turned on, set to 1.2bar, this really made a huge difference, the response to the throttle seemed almost instantaneous and the engine felt generally very eager. I would say the power claims are probably quite acturate and that the ECU would be a good upgrade for any stock or bpu Supra.

I did have one exciting moment whilst testing on a stretch of dual carriageway, when the cars a few hundred meters ahead started to slow for a red light. It was at this point I suddenly realised how ridiculously quick I was going (about 120mph). Okay no problem jump on the brakes and everything will be fine, this was when I discovered my ABS wasn't working and instead of slowing down, all 4 wheels were locked up and I was sliding rapidly towards the cars ahead:eek::zzz:

Thankfully I managed to get the car under control and slow down in time with cm's to spare! For some reason the ECU wasn't opperating the ABS, the scarey thing though was that the warning light hadn't come on to warn me.

I certainly appreciate how good the ABS system on the Supra is now, I was amazed how easily the wheels locked up under normal braking without the ABS on. I'd always thought that ABS only kicked in when braking hard, when you could actually feel it working but I now realise what a difference it makes just under normal braking.

Lesson of the day to self, always test the 'stop' pedal is working before getting too carried away with the 'go' pedal.

cheers

EYEFI..

its a Haltech,model is called E6K

its a full stand alone ecu.

all that was done is:

take standard ecu out

put Haltech in,with a wiring adaptor so i didnt have to chop up the original loom.

The ABS works fine,so to me that mean its independant and does not rely on the ECU.

My supra is a JAP spec,tho so not sure if yours are the same.