The mkiv Supra Owners Club

front suspension problem...

MizTheWiz

Driving my car tonight it felt like i had a loose wheel or something :blink:

over the last month or so a knocking noise arrived from my front end every time i went over the smallest of bumps, also suspension has got more and more harsh over a period of time. I put this down to worn shocks and i am in the proses at the moment of trying to get some more to sort the problem.

But tonight as i was driving along usual knocking and harsh ride as i went over the bumps the car seemed to pull to the left and then right also at times felt like i was driving in tram lines very weired. I now feel to scared to drive it lost all confidence :(.

It almost felt like my wheels had a mind of there own and my suspension was all loose. Then as soon as i was on a smooth bit of road it felt all good again...

Am i still looking at shocks or do you think there is more to the problem???

Tramlining can be caused by bad alignment and it can feel very scary at times. It can also be caused by unbalanced shocks, i.e. one is set stiffer than the other. Buggered shocks can do it as well.

You may also be suffering from old suspension bushes. These are at the age now where they are wearing out on a lot of cars and can allow the wishbones etc to move around several millimeters, causing awful handling - I experienced this, the real notification that things were in a bad way was under sharp braking I got a clonk noise. This was the front wishbones shifting on their bushes far anough to hit the subframe brakcets they were bolted into :blink: No wonder the car felt all over the place.

I would get it to a garage ASAP to be checked over, could be a number of things wrong.

Had car checked over today and sure enough faulty shock on drivers side...

But the reason for the handling going all over the place was due to missing front spigot/o rings. :rolleyes:

only last week i had a mobile tyre fitter over while at work to replace the front two tyres....mmmmm suspicious lol..

so now on the hunt for some locally i live in Poole so any ideas. Halfords say no lol.....

only last week i had a mobile tyre fitter over while at work to replace the front two tyres....mmmmm suspicious lol..

So they stole or threw away a vital part of your car, making it unsafe to be driven?! I'd be on the blower to them to have a word :complain: