The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coolant Leak - Perhaps O-ring again

imi

Hi all

Car has been leaking coolant for the past few days, had a good look at the engine bay today to find out where it is leaking from and noticed that it is a re-occurence of a previous issue:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=2011838&postcount=222

and pics of my engine bay from July 2008; looks the same today, although leak is worse.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=2014928&postcount=224

Question:

Is it a case of ordering an O-ring only and getting this sorted again or do I need other bits?

How easy is it to change, what steps are involved?

Any particular reason why this has failed in 18 months?

Can someone confirm the part numbers I need so that I can order them today.

O Ring/Seal - T96761-24022 x2

Many thanks

Edited by imi (see edit history)

It shouldnt leak if its fitted correctly, id examine other parts where the seal is sitting make sure very clean before refitting.

If i rember right might be a pitta of a job as the water pump has to come off, and to get this off your talkin lots of other bits, as the bolts are behind the plastic covers.

Unless you can get at if the other way with waterpump in situ.

If someone else has changed this recently they may rember.

cant see it being a water pump failure it wasnt overheating?

I mentioned the water pump as you may have to take it off to change that seal.

Altho thinking about it there are 2 bolts that bolt to the head on the elbow.

Presume it just pulls out.

I no when i had my waterpump off i was swinging it on that elbow and it didnt leak after so must be a good seal.

car runs perfectly fine other than the losing coolant due to this leak.

I wonder whether due to the system being pressurised at 1.3 instead of the toyota (1.1 or 0.9 - whatever it is) is resulting in the leak.

My Koyo rad only takes a 1.3 pressure cap.

I would look very closely at all the metal surfaces where the O rings seat, any corrosion there will be a weak point that will leak again.

Thanks Phil, how easy is it to change the O-ring? does the cambelt, crank pulley, etc need to come out or can this be done in situ?

It is a while since I had a standard engine, and standard turbo's, so I cant remember what access is like.(edit you have a single so access will be easier) If the leak is caused by the water bypass O rings failing, it is a fairly simple job.

The top of the number two bypass pipe is bolted to the side of the head OS front, with its two bolts removed, it can be pulled away from the head and number two bypass pipe. The number one pipe can be pulled from the water pump. Job done. The three O rings should be replaced carefully, lubricated with a water soluble lubricant at reassembly. Check all mating surfaces for damage.

I would be temped to use some water proof sealant with the new gaskets if the damage/corrosion is not severe, as the alternative may be to replace the pump, due to corrosion at the union.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)