The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2jz GTE with r154 help needed!

Guest lidlleecher

Guest lidlleecher

Hi there, we need some help from bulgaria, matching 1jz gearbox to 2jz engine, is there some machine work we need to do, because we are pretty sure the bellhousing is from 1jz, but they seem to not fit directly ... also, the engine was with 6speed manual, is there some difference there? we are putting 2jz on s13 200sx so we will need some help from this forum, thanks

yes you will need to modify/extend your shifter linkage because the r154 is a shorter gearbox than the v160/w58,garethr is correct you will need the correct bell housing of 1jz and also make a new rear gearbox mount that fits to the existing holes of the chassis.

im sure i added some pictures of mine once upon a time if you do a search as i did run a r154 on a 2jzgte.

The r154.. there are 2 types.

The 1st is from the mk3..

now if you have the 1jz bell housing then all you need is a shifter extention but if you have the 7m housing then you need to get a bell housing aswel.. You can either A. source a second hand 1 or B get a brand new 1 (not the cheapest option)

the 2nd is from a soarer

this is a direct drop in unit BUT extremely rare to find

Right now you know the differences, heres the list of parts required.

1jz flywheel

1jz bellhousing

MKIII clutch kit

MKIV master | MKIII slave

JZA70 starter

MK3 R154 front 1/2 drive shaft (possible some modifying to do to the flange to mate to the 2nd half.) any good driveshaft shop can sort that

also will need to reuse the w58 trans mount as i dont think the mk3 fits

most of the parts required are available from here... http://store.driftmotion.com/static/c-mk4supra.php

shifter extention is a little costly though...

Now i dont know if you know much bout the r154 BUT like all things it does have a weakness. The 1st gear thrust washer.... if the box has been beat on then its a good chance its goosed. Id replace it anyway to avoid issues but that will have to be done by a gearbox shop unless you can do it yourself.

Id recommend an uprated thrust washer and bearing cover plate from http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/parts-upgrade/heavy-duty-bearing-cover-plate

they are good guys and know there stuff :)

thats everything you need to know

• 1 month later...
heres the list of parts required.

1jz flywheel

1jz bellhousing

MKIII clutch kit

MKIV master | MKIII slave

JZA70 starter

MK3 R154 front 1/2 drive shaft (possible some modifying to do to the flange to mate to the 2nd half.) any good driveshaft shop can sort that

also will need to reuse the w58 trans mount as i dont think the mk3 fits

1)JZA70 starter motor? why?

2) do you have to use mark 4 master cylinder & mark 3 slave?

or do the vice versa fit/work

3)i read a post that the prop needs to be shorter or longer, or does it fit?

Edited by Lude (see edit history)

• 6 months later...
that link is no good for the mkiv... you need to move the shifter back further then what that does....
It shows a "swan neck" lever...

Not sure about the lever position for the Supra, although, since the Supra uses the Soarer/SC chassis, I'd have thought the position was similar.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)