The mkiv Supra Owners Club

T04Z with less than 80 miles on.

Mike B

This is my HKS T04Z on ebay; bought from the states at the back end of last summer. I didn't get round to fitting and mapping until last month, and I've decided to stick to t67.

T4 flange

V band Ex Housing

1.00 ar divided housing

full detail here; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT&item=160320836523

list price in the states;

Price in the US; $3120

At 1.4 usd to the £ that's £2228

This is my HKS T04Z on ebay; bought from the states at the back end of last summer. I didn't get round to fitting and mapping until last month, and I've decided to stick to t67.

T4 flange

V band Ex Housing

1.00 ar divided housing

full detail here; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT&item=160320836523

list price in the states;

Price in the US; $3120

At 1.4 usd to the £ that's £2228

I hope you didnt buy that turbo thinking its a HKS because its a Garrett T04Z which is about $1300. The HKS T04Z is $3120.

Sorry to break the news to you but you may have paid too much for it :(

I hope you didnt buy that turbo thinking its a HKS because its a Garrett T04Z which is about $1300. The HKS T04Z is $3120.

Sorry to break the news to you but you may have paid too much for it :(

Lee, do you know what the actual difference is between the two? From the various threads on supraforums, I was under the impression the internals, wheel sizes, etc were all standard Garrett on the HKS T04Z. The only difference being the customer moulding on the compressor housing.

Lee, do you know what the actual difference is between the two? From the various threads on supraforums, I was under the impression the internals, wheel sizes, etc were all standard Garrett on the HKS T04Z. The only difference being the customer moulding on the compressor housing.

"These HKS custom turbocharger units are Garrett based turbos that are designed and built specifically for the performance oriented. From the HKS specific compressor and turbine wheels and blade designs to the thier unique housings, each HKS Signature and GT ball-bearing turbocharger unit is race proven and engineered with the highest standards in performance, function & reliability. These units can be utilized in certain bolt-on applications or custom applications from the basic street car to a full race setups."

The internals are modified by HKS as well as the housings, although they look similar they are very different. Supraforums are always very biased on HKS stuff as the forum is run by boostlogic. :)

These HKS custom turbocharger units are Garrett based turbos that are designed and built specifically for the performance oriented. From the HKS specific compressor and turbine wheels and blade designs to the thier unique housings, each HKS Signature and GT ball-bearing turbocharger unit is race proven and engineered with the highest standards in performance, function & reliability. These units can be utilized in certain bolt-on applications or custom applications from the basic street car to a full race setups.

The internals are modified by HKS as well as the housings, although they look similar they are very different. Supraforums are always very biased on HKS stuff as the forum is run by boostlogic. :)

Thanks Lee for the quick reply. I guess the first part was a copy/paste from somewhere HKS owned :D

I agree about supraforums being BL/SP run, but it's hard to know for sure otherwise; specific specs are not released (unless you know somewhere that can supply a compressor map for the HKS range? would be good to compare to the garrett ones). Maybe it's the older Japanese turbo's that make a lot of people doubt the sales patter, particularly the greddy range which maps have proved are stock off the shelf garret truck turbo's.

Sorry Mike, broke one of the forum rules by taking your for sale thread off topic, will move the posts out to tech chat if you want.

There is a noticable difference in the HKS T04Z look and feel, the compressor wheels are visualy different so they are not stock garrett. The wheel also spins smoother and more freely indicating the bearings are also different.

There is also a weight difference, as with the T51 compared to the garrett equivalent.

Not condoning the price difference but there is a noticable difference in quality between the two. :)

Sorry for the thread hijack Mike.

Thanks Lee for the quick reply. I guess the first part was a copy/paste from somewhere HKS owned :D

I agree about supraforums being BL/SP run, but it's hard to know for sure otherwise; specific specs are not released (unless you know somewhere that can supply a compressor map for the HKS range? would be good to compare to the garrett ones). Maybe it's the older Japanese turbo's that make a lot of people doubt the sales patter, particularly the greddy range which maps have proved are stock off the shelf garret truck turbo's.

Sorry Mike, broke one of the forum rules by taking your for sale thread off topic, will move the posts out to tech chat if you want.

thats what i was thinking too as i know some people who use the hks to4z and they said its a wicked turbo :)

That might be because they have nothing comparable to compare it to - back to back so to speak, such as Mike has.

I remain unconvinced until someone can post compressor maps for the HKS version.

Darrly no chance of getting a compressor map though, I would imagine that the HKS ported cover and there own hotside (coated D5S high-nickel by the way lol ) is gonna push the effeciency map a lot higher. I read a great article a few years back in Drag magazine (Nowt to do with high heels) where they got one of the 1st HKS to4z's, It definately isnt the same CHRA as the garrett counterpart. The Comp blades have a shallower deflection though the ass end is still good ole P-trim (TO4) and HKS use there own BB design ALA t51r range

I have HKS to4Z wheel pics if anyone wants to compare with the garret equivalents if they have them

What's the hole for in the compressor Mike?

Boost solenoid, as suggested.,..

Ahh right, does the kit come with the nipple for that?

I'm using it on the T67, but it's a common part...

In all honesty I put my lack of enthusiasm for this turbo down to the 1.00 divided housing. I had a 4088R with a .95 divided housing, it felt the same as the to4. I'll ask the guy I bought it from for clarification. If it had a .8 - .85 non divided housing I'd say it would feel the same as the T67, although it's noisy with that TO4 Z whistle. Exhaust housings make or break these turbo's and they all use the same garrett cartridges (although the gt4088R is the only rogue).

You may want to change your ebay add though as its a bit missleading. ;)

Boost solenoid, as suggested.,..

I'm using it on the T67, but it's a common part...

In all honesty I put my lack of enthusiasm for this turbo down to the 1.00 divided housing. I had a 4088R with a .95 divided housing, it felt the same as the to4. I'll ask the guy I bought it from for clarification. If it had a .8 - .85 non divided housing I'd say it would feel the same as the T67, although it's noisy with that TO4 Z whistle. Exhaust housings make or break these turbo's and they all use the same garrett cartridges (although the gt4088R is the only rogue).

You may want to change your ebay add though as its a bit missleading. ;)

I was sold it as a TO4Z.. I'll have to change it when it's removed and sent back to the supplier. As far as I can see everything is the same aside the label on the compressor housing. The older to4z's have the same anti surge porting as these. See what my supplier says.

Ernie (Chiefgroover) has an HKS badged one; he may be able/willing to post up some photos with covers off and of centre cartridge for comparison....just a thought :)

I remember a massive argument going on for day and days here with Martin from Interpro (or whatever the Supra part was called?) about the HKS vs. Garrett T04Z and I think quite a few people gave him a lot of abuse as he was arguing they were different and people like Terry were adamant the units are identical except for lighter housings.

I was sold it as a TO4Z.. I'll have to change it when it's removed and sent back to the supplier. As far as I can see everything is the same aside the label on the compressor housing. The older to4z's have the same anti surge porting as these. See what my supplier says.

Your advertising it as a HKS T04Z which is twice the price of the turbo you actually have for sale. You just need to change it so whoever buys it knows what they are getting. :)

Ernie (Chiefgroover) has an HKS badged one; he may be able/willing to post up some photos with covers off and of centre cartridge for comparison....just a thought :)

I remember a massive argument going on for day and days here with Martin from Interpro (or whatever the Supra part was called?) about the HKS vs. Garrett T04Z and I think quite a few people gave him a lot of abuse as he was arguing they were different and people like Terry were adamant the units are identical except for lighter housings.

I have a few pics that may be of use, if Mike want to use them for comparison reasons...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.