The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tiptronic gearbox

Guest RichyRZ-S

Guest RichyRZ-S

Hi folks,

Getting a tt vvti tiptronic this friday. I was wondering if any of you know if it is a 4 speed , the same as the older version of the auto, and also if their is any common problems with this box. Also my mate has a 93 tt auto j-spec and he is upgrading to a boost logic gearbox and was wondering what type of gearbox i would need if i was to do the same?

As Pete says, no known problems with the gearbox. When delimiting the car there have been problems with the autobox kick down over 120mph but the simplest option is not to do that speed.

Im starting to use the Tiptoe properly when out and about, I leave it in M mode and drive it on the steering wheel buttons. Give a nice bit of control with no sudden kick downs mid corner.

Good luck with the car.

It IS the same box as the auto. There is a problem with MPH converted Tiptronic Supras which is related to the gearbox though not actually a problem with the gearbox itself; MPH converted Tips have a nasty quirk which means that they will kick-down from top gear (4th) into third gear if you if you give it full throttle - even if you are doing 160mph at the time.

---

Edit,

Branners posted while I was writing the above, I see he's already covered some of what I was saying.

Guest RichyRZ-S

thanks alot guys i thought that if i was in tiptronic i was then in full control of the gears ? Is it supposed to kick down ?

Yes mate, they still kick down. You're not in full control of the gears. You can make it shift up or down with the buttons but it won't blindly do what you tell it. If it needs to shift down it will and if you tell it to shift down when it thinks the revs are too high for a lower gear it will refuse to and will just beep at you.

Have you driven the car you're buying yet Richy? You need to have a really good test drive of a tiptronic Supra to see if it really suits you. Apart from the kick-down issue I mentioned before, I dislike the harsh way they change down gears when you're steaming into a corner in Tiptronic mode.

Guest RichyRZ-S

Cheers Jake,

Yes i have drove the car but foolishly only on auto. As long as it wont drop down when the revs are too high then i can deal with that.

Thanks for all your info lads it is very much appreciated !

You'll be OK there mate, as long as you don't give it full throttle in top gear when you don't want it to kick down into third. Don't get me wrong Richy, they are really nice cars and the VVTi engine is excellent, I'm just trying to make sure you're going into this with all the facts. :thumbs:

Just out of interest, did you notice if the Traction Control went into Snow Mode while you were driving it? A lot of mph converted VVTi Supras seem to have an issue with that too, although it's only a minor annoyance.

Branners, Pete, et al, I presume yours do that too? (Can't remember if we've discussed this before/recently)

I only drive mine in Manual mode, and with the Traction Control switched off, as the TC kicks into "Snow mode" far too often and leaves you without power when you need it. Once you get used to no TC and Manual mode you'll never drive it any other way. Much better control and you can keep it from changing up which is great for keeping the turbos spooling if you know you're about to drop the hammer. Kickdowns is still a pain but you learn to live with it and work it to your advantage. I'm very happy with mine.

Branners, Pete, et al, I presume yours do that too? (Can't remember if we've discussed this before/recently)

No...I've got RLTC :D

Ok, so if I leave the standard TRAC on yes it does the weird flashing thing right about when it's hitting what would've been the delimiter I think. It's been a while since I've done it, I think basically the TRAC ECU is confused by the fudged speed conversion signal and so the magnitude of slip appears to be different than it expects.

Very tasty. I love the white ones :) Welcome to the club and enjoy every minute mate:)

Shameless plug:

I'll have both decat pipes for you (one available now) and one in about 2 months, which will give you a great boost in power and response (especially the first one which I have now). PM me if you're interested

Cheers

Mark

Another thing. If you're going to start modding, ask questions!! There are quite a few differences between VVTI and normal supes, and I learnt the hard way by being impulsive. Don't be afraid to use the search button on the forum, and if you still find nothing, ask away. PM me if in doubt, always keen to try help.

I dislike the harsh way they change down gears when you're steaming into a corner in Tiptronic mode.

I agree, the gear change is a bit violent when changing up in manual mode as well. Im assume it goes in to proper manual mode like a normal auto and so the line pressures get increased to make shifts quicker and harder.

Even with a normal auto you need to be careful when you choose to take OD off or pull it back to 2nd. Its not smooth like a 6sp but I dont find it too bad.

I agree, the gear change is a bit violent when changing up in manual mode as well.

I can't say I experience this moving up gears. Going down sometimes if you choose your moment badly.

Perhaps we should compare notes at the Pod.

Could be the wrong oil. I wanted a harder gear change at one stage and had a word with someone as Castrol, and he said he could supply me with a Toyota recognised oil that would stiffen up the changes? Might be worth a try. Enjoy the flushing if you do it ;)