The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Possible Clutch Problem/Slip?

Franko

Last night driving home, i was accelarating in 4th gear quite hard, when the 2nd turbo kicked in the engine revved hard but it didnt put power down at all, smelled a funny smell, so i imediatelly changed into 5th gear and it did the same there. The car pulls perfect in 1st 2nd + 3rd but in 4th and 5th it does this.

That's a slipping clutch right there.

I've had an RPS Street Max in mine for about three years now and I'm still on that original friction plate, so they do work with 500bhp+... Perhaps a fitting/adjustment issue?

-Ian

I have been told i can adjust the clutch pedal and it should work no problem, but this seems strange as it doesnt do it in 1st 2nd 3rd when fully putting the power down. I know the last gears creates more load but from my limited knowledge i would have expected problems thoughout the gears if it was a pedal allignment problem.

Worth noting this is on a W58 5-Sp - Franko recently had an NA -> TT conversion done iirc.

As mentioned if it doesn't slip in 1,2,3 then it's unlikely to be a pedal adjustment type issue IMO but worth a go I suppose. :search:

Rear crank oil seal leaking is a good point - I've seen clutches slipping due to this previously but again you'd expect it to do it in all gears. If it was this the clutch will be junk anyways as the oil contaminates the friction material.

Are we sure an RPS went in at time of conversion? (necessary to hold the extra torque of the TT lump)

Cheers,

Brian.

Are we sure an RPS went in at time of conversion? (necessary to hold the extra torque of the TT lump)

Cheers,

Brian.

Yep, brand new it was. Supplied by Kyle. We've done loads of these and never had a problem. I'm hoping its just an adjustment issue, the amount of load in 4th / 5th is obviously far more than the lower gears, and its just causing it to slip. How many miles have you done now Franko?

spoken to Jamie at Silverstone garage today and he talked me through pedal adjustment, this hasnt helped it, infact now the car is slipping in 3rd gear.

Jezz ill call you monday and arrange to drop the car off for you guys to look at as im struggling here.

spoken to Jamie at Silverstone garage today and he talked me through pedal adjustment, this hasnt helped it, infact now the car is slipping in 3rd gear.

Jezz ill call you monday and arrange to drop the car off for you guys to look at as im struggling here.

No worries mate. We'll get it sorted. ;)