The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do you fit Exhaust Gas Bypass Valve actuator?

Jim_1979

I was told by previous owner it was sticking.

Exhaust gets quite loud when second turbo spools up etc ad stays loud for a while. If I take it easy, it quietens down after a period.

That would be quite normal behaviour, as the valve opens up for second turbo to work, what other symptoms do you have? are you making full boost?

Exhaust gets quite loud when second turbo spools up etc ad stays loud for a while. If I take it easy, it quietens down after a period.

Mine used to do this, always told myself it was probably my imagination. :conf: Never had any boosting issues, it would just be a bit louder when on a spirited drive, even if I started cruising after giving it a bit of welly.

Ahem. The exhaust gas bypass valve (EGBV) is the thing that controls boost on the first turbo and prespools the second one. It lives on the second turbo. The exhaust gas CONTROL valve lets the second turbo flow exhaust gas normally and lives on the downpipe from the turbos. Which one is it you are looking to get replaced?

-Ian

Used to do this?

I take it it's all fine then and the previous owner was mis-informeD?

Sorry should've explained, the only reason it 'used' to do it is because I've sold it. Having had no problems with the car's running (boosted fine) I never looked into it - just assumed it was either my imagination or a bit of high tec wizardry.

I don't know what needs changed if anything...

This is the info that was in the for sale thread...

"the only down side is the gas exhaust valve sticks when you first spool up the secound turbo , so if you like your car a bit loud then no probs but if your like me and just potter about in the car you might want to change it"

Any ideas?

"the only down side is the gas exhaust valve sticks when you first spool up the secound turbo , so if you like your car a bit loud then no probs but if your like me and just potter about in the car you might want to change it"

I think by the sound of it the previous owner was not at all certain what the problem, was,if any!

do you notice any hesitance in the transition on the second turbo? and if he just pottered around then the second turbo would not be coming online, it would only become louder at higher RPM, this is all presuming its the EGCV hes talking about.

I think by the sound of it the previous owner was not at all certain what the problem, was,if any!

do you notice any hesitance in the transition on the second turbo? and if he just pottered around then the second turbo would not be coming online, it would only become louder at higher RPM, this is all presuming its the EGCV hes talking about.

No real obvious hesitancy in the transition that I notice. I can't remember what it was like compared to my other TT.

I'll actually film it one day very soon to see if it seems like it should be. I mean film me booting it so you can see turbo changes etc.

The car is very loud anyway. lol

If it is the control valve I think you can take it off without removing the turbos. Also, there are plenty about on the 2nd hand market.

However, it sounds like you need to do a lot more diagnostic work to find out what the actual problem is before randomly changing bits for ££s...

-Ian