The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car won't start

SupraGirlie

Hey,

Just went to start the car and it's turning over but not firing up. Only thing I've been messing around with today are the door cards whilst installing the new speakers. Haven't touched anything under the bonnet or anything to do with the battery.

Ignition and warning lights come up as normal so I can't see how it could be the battery.

Only thing i can think of is the fact that the plug that goes into the door card on the passenger side currently isn't plugged in. I doubt this would be the cause of the problem but you never know.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I don't think it's anything to do with the door card either. Thought it was worth saying something about it though.

I didn't have anything running whilst i was working on the car. Interior light was off, no radio (only to test the rear speakers when i got them in).

How would i check the immob and fuel pump?

Will check for blown fuses. Will also give the battery some charge and see how i get on. Too dark to do anything now though :(

Thanks for the replies

If the fuel pump is working it will prime when you turn the key.

If you turn the ignition on you should hear a droning sound, thats the fuel pump priming. Pretty sure if you hear that its not it though.

As for the immobiliser i don't really know tbh.

Scott =op

Guest Garfy

possibly a silly question this, but is it still in park? just thought that if you have been playing around with the stereo you may have taken it out of park to get better access, and I can't rememeber if it still turns over but wont start, or if it doesn't turn over when not in park.

Yep same problem I had, the starter motor kept on clicking, in the end I got it refurbed. I went down the whole route of getting a new battery etc :rolleyes: I'm sure a tech guru will be along shortly :)

He said it's turning over fine. Unlikely to be the battery then I would think.

Only stock fuse that can stop the engine starting if the car is cranking and the fuel pump is pumping is the EFI fuse. Other than that it should fire. Sounds very much if its turning over properly that the ignition is not happening. The immobiliser could do this of course and who knows what circuit thats been fed off.

Just checked the fuses, EFI fuse is fine and doesn't look damaged at all. Re-connected the door card and car still won't start. Everything sounds healthy though.

Tried resetting the battery last night but that didn't work either.

Any other bright ideas? I'm stumped.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Just checked the fuses, EFI fuse is fine and doesn't look damaged at all. Re-connected the door card and car still won't start. Everything sounds healthy though.

Tried resetting the battery last night but that didn't work either.

Any other bright ideas? I'm stumped.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Next thing is to check you are getting a spark. You will need to take off the spark plug cover, remove the HT leads, take out a spark plug, put it onto the HT lead and have someone crank the car. If the spark plug sparks, thats not the problem.

Just to be sure, wait until someone confirms this check. I've done it in the past but i don't know if its adviseable lol.

Scott =op

Guest Artermis

you say its turning over, does it sound likes turning over really quickly and easily compared to how it usually sounds?

also if you've been trying and trying the plugs could get wet, if your going to have em out maybe worth cleaning them up