The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help! spring / shock problem

Dave

one of my springs snapped on the car they were lowered ones anyway got some standard springs cause i wanted to raise the ride height a bit so i could use if for work gotta park in the multi storey .

anyway fitted the fronts today and have got a 3.5 inch gap between the tyre and arch lip this cant be right can it .maybe i need the standard shocks as well any advice or help will be helpfull thanks ---dave:(

got the rears but havent fitted them yet would this make any difference ???

pics are of the front

taken it for a drive and it came down a little photos are after the drive maybe when i put the rears on it will level it out ??

just been reading the manual and it says the shaft on the shock should move freely in and out i couldnt move either of mine they were really stiff maybe thats the prob

I take it you have painted the springs red, as stock springs are always originally black? Did you tighten the wishbone bolts with the car sat on the ramp, with the weight on the tyres? If not, and you did it at full droop, it'll raise the car as the bushes are now HEAVILY preloaded, and you will be buying new wishbones next, as it'll 8ugger them in no time at all, if it's not already damaged them. CJ is your friend...

thanks chris you may have solved the problem its only parked in the drive not using it only went up the road and back 1/2 mile will go and jack it up and loosen the wishbone nuts [yeah i did paint them]

i knew something wasnt right i feel such an idiot for not realiseing what ive done its not as if i havent done this job before :(

You need to tighten them up with the car on it's wheels on the ground, which is all but impossible without a ramp.

how tight should they be what tourqe .

this is the intructions in the manual can i do it this way no.1- 3 and 4

1) Install upper control arm bolt with bolt head toward front

of vehicle, leaving it loose at this time. Install upper ball joint.

Install and tighten upper ball joint nut to specification. See TORQUE

SPECIFICATIONS.

2) Install splash shield and windshield washer fluid

reservoir (if removed). Install clamp for speed sensor wiring. Install

speed sensor, brake caliper, and front wheel. Tighten bolts and wheel

lug nuts to specification.

3) Lower vehicle. Bounce vehicle several times to settle

suspension. Position floor jack under lower control arm. Raise

vehicle. Remove front wheel.

4) Tighten upper control arm bolt to specification with

vehicle weight on lower control arm. Install front wheel. Check wheel

alignment. See WHEEL ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATIONS & PROCEDURES article in

WHEEL ALIGNMENT section.

Hmm, if you are happy pulling on a spanner to achieve that sort of torque with the car supported like that it'll be fine, suspension pre load wise. Safety wise? I'd probably do it on my own car if I wasn't fortunate enough to have a ramp, but in these litigious times I couldn't be seen to suggest it, of course ;)