The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New heater matrix fitted, now no AC/heater power

Jake

I fitted my new heater matrix today, got the dash, carpets, seats, everything back together OK, the car starts and runs fine but there's no power to the heater/AirCon controls.

I've double and triple checked everything is plugged in (those orange plugs into the back of the heater controls are a right bugger to get out, aren't they) and I've checked the fuses in the driver's side footwell. All looks OK to me.

Any ideas?

Also I've a problem with the speedo converter connections but I think I'll start a separate thread about that.

Just remembered something. Behind the centre dash panel, the one with the heater controls, there seems to be a redundant black plug. It looks like a five wire one with only four wires connected to it. I can't remember if this plug is usually there unplugged but I certainly can't see anywhere it could go.

Anyone else have this spare plug loafing about inside their dash or have I missed a vital connector somewhere?

Doesn't the warning triangle connection cause some funny issues? Have you deffo put everything in the top section?
Everything is plugged into the top section (three connectors - 2 on the LHS, 1 on the RHS)

Ah but there's something else I forgot to mention. The hazards and indicators don't work either but they do flash as normal when I arm/disarm the alarm.

I've checked the dimmer switch is plugged in OK.

It's all very strange.

Everything is plugged into the top section (three connectors - 2 on the LHS, 1 on the RHS)

Ah but there's something else I forgot to mention. The hazards and indicators don't work either but they do flash as normal when I arm/disarm the alarm.

I've checked the dimmer switch is plugged in OK.

It's all very strange.

Probably doesn't help, but I found that the indicators don't work unless the hazard warning switch is plugged in.

the other plug you mention sounds like the traction control switch, I'll go dig out a pic of mine...

I had this exact problem a few years ago, it was due to one of the plugs not being connected correctly. I *think* it might have been the one to the hazard warning button.

Sorry I can't remember exactly, it was a very long time ago...

Edit - also check the dash dimmer switch connection as that can throw up all sorts of problems

Have you plugged the hazards back in Jake? wasn't sure if you meant you'd connecteed the instruments back up or all of the dash switches/controls as well. It does sound like the hazard switch isn't connected/properly - that would be the first thing I'd check anyway as it's the easiest thing to get to!! :)

You deffently connect the white plug which sits roughly behind the where the clock would sit?

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/jezzybabes/Image016-3.jpg

Yeah, the one right at the back - double checked it too.

Definitely not the cigarette lighter fuse? Mine went on Sunday after installing a new stereo and it knocks out the clock and heater controls (and the cigarette lighter obviously)
Well I pulled that fuse and it certainly looks alright. Good suggestion though mate, I know that one can cause odd faults you wouldn't usually associate with the Cig Lighter.

Any luck with this jake?
Nope :( I'm struggling with it again right now.

I have power to :

Headlights, Wipers, Cig Lighter, rev counter, boost gauge (stock one), fuel gauge, elec door mirrors, horn,

I DON'T have power to :

Heater controls, speedo/rev counter panel lights, Highbeam warning lights.

The indicators don't work from the indicator stalk or the Hazard Lights button but they do flash when the alarm is armed/disarmed (the green indicator light on the dash do the same)

I'm stumped ! :(

Think you've checked this already but i had a similar issue with the indicators not working from the stalks but did work from the hazards and with the alarm a while back. i *think* (as Alex said) it was down to the active spoiler plug not being in firmly.
Not plugged in what mate? I don't think I have an active spoiler ECU (or a plug for one)

I thought speedo and rev counter shared power across the cluster? Obviously not. I wonder if you've shorted or earthed something by trapping a wire or similar. Have you tested battery to chassis with everything off to check for drain?
As far as I know the speedo and rev counter are both working Pete. Did I give the impression the speedo wasn't working? I didn't mean to.

It's the illumination for the speedo/rev counter/fuelgauge cluster that's not working

I DON'T have power to :

Heater controls, speedo/rev counter panel lights, Highbeam warning lights.

The indicators don't work from the indicator stalk or the Hazard Lights button but they do flash when the alarm is armed/disarmed (the green indicator light on the dash do the same)

If only I had a VVTi wiring diagram to see how they're all linked. :(

I'll look on the normal diagram tonight and see if anything leaps out at me.

I too have a similar issue whereby the hazard button has lost power and won't flash, but indicators themselves work fine.