The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steaming Coolent-URGENT HELP!!

Guest Tona955

Guest Tona955

HI All,

Newbe here and to Supra's.

Got me a M Reg Supra straight 6 nonTurbo, I have the following cooling problem.

Water cooling system is bubbling and steaming out of the expansion tank vent, temp guage showing normal ( approx halfway mark), radiator staying cold and no heat in car heater.

I have my thoughts to the following.

Water Pump.

Head Gasket.

Heater Matrix.

Radiator.

Would really appreciate some help with this as I can't drive the car till I have this sorted.

All i did was top up the water level with a little antifreeze as it was a bit low.

PS. Should the expansion bottle have any water in it? the one just behind the bumper.

Kind Regards and thanks in advance.

Tona

Guest Tona955

Hi,

Well thats good enough for me, shall remove it and get it changed.

I am exteremely impressed with the support and response of this forum, it has to be the quickest response I have ever had.

Excellent.

I am a member or several forums, Saab, VW, Vauxhall and a couple of motorbike forums, but yours is impressive.

Good to know as my partner now wants a Supra....

Best Regards

Tona...away to get my hands dirty....

Hi,

Well thats good enough for me, shall remove it and get it changed.

I am exteremely impressed with the support and response of this forum, it has to be the quickest response I have ever had.

Excellent.

I am a member or several forums, Saab, VW, Vauxhall and a couple of motorbike forums, but yours is impressive.

Good to know as my partner now wants a Supra....

Best Regards

Tona...away to get my hands dirty....

If you like working on cars I would suggest you get a set of workshop manuals from CJ on here, these are where the pics were taken from, they are very useful indeed;)

First thing I'd do would be to fit a new radiator cap (they are cheap), if the seal on your rad cap is leaking and the system is loosing pressure, the coolant will boil over at a lower temperature.

Make sure the area on the rad where the rad cap seals onto is clean before fitting the new one. Top up the coolant with the rad cap off first, rev a little and make sure the coolant is circulating, this should get rid of any trapped air in the system, keep topping up as needed. Once full, fit the rad cap and leave ticking over, keep an eye on the temp gauge, it should reach mid point and stay there.

Guest Tona955

Hi All,

Yeah, Rad cap has already been changed.

Found a local shop that might have a Tstat, will take mine off and see if it matches...only £6..Hmmmm...cheap isn't always the best I feel but it will get me going until I get a stock one.

Cheers

Guest Tona955

Hi,

Have just removed the TStat and stuck it into a pan, upon the boiling point the stat does open and then close once cool, not sure what temp the water is as i don't have a thermostat at hand.

Coudl it still be at fault?

Cheers

Guest gzaerojon
Hi,

Have just removed the TStat and stuck it into a pan, upon the boiling point the stat does open and then close once cool, not sure what temp the water is as i don't have a thermostat at hand.

Coudl it still be at fault?

Cheers

how much does it open when it boils? might be worth fitting a new one any way. i had this once and it just opened a little and as a result it got a bit too hot.

you could always just run without it till you get a new one, but you will need to hack off both bridge points of the stat and remove the center, as the outside part of the stat with the rubber seal on it becomes the seal when it is fitted

Guest Tona955

Ok, Replaced the Thermostat thsi evening and toped up with AntiFreeze/Water.

Tick over for a bit and then for a drive, still steaming, took a long time for warm air comming into the cabin but then at times goes cold.

Poped the bonet to have a look and steam pouring out the expansion bottle also noticed and heard the heater matrix pipes (I think) at the back of the engine jumping and poping sounds as though they had trapped air, and very hot but no hot air in cabin through heater.

Is there a bleed nipple anywhere I could check?

Not sure what to check now, yesterday I removed the thermostat and ran the car without it, took a while to heatup but all seemed well, hot air in cabin and also no steam.

Any ideas?

Thanks again

Guest Tona955

Thanks, so you reckon its perhaps an air lock somewhere, seems like it to me also.

I tried to top up yesterday through the rad cap while the engine was steaming but it just kept boiling over.

Will try your suggestion in a mo and get back to you

Many thanks once again for the prompt response.

Regards