The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just gone BPU - Not sure it's boosting fully

JohnnyW

Hi guys,

Just picked up my BPU'd Supra today from the garage. Firstly it's definitely an improvement on the stock the turbo's are spooling faster and it's definitely pulling to the redline better.

..... However :D I have a greddy boost gage which reads in kg/cm2 (which is pretty much the same as bar) and it's only reading 0.7 when the 2nd turbo kicks in which is pretty much stock levels. So I'm looking for some advice on where a potential problem could be :search:

I'm not 100% confident in the boost gauge that's installed. Is it a common problem old for boost gauges to read incorrectly??

The setup is:

JSpec Auto

1.2 bar restrictor ring

Decat pipes

Fuel Cut Defender

Iridium Plugs

Walbro fuel pump

Cheers

Johnny

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's probably another thing I should have mentioned in the first post it's an Apexi catback but my mate did say it was in need of replacing when he fitted the decat pipes.

I also expected the exhaust to be a lot louder since decatting but it's not. Do you think the exhaust may be the problem?

This is the backbox currently fitted:

http://www.jwwebdev.co.uk/Supra/Exhaust.jpg

There isn't such a thing as a 1.2bar restrictor ring, it isn't really an exact science. A restrictor ring that allows 1.2bar of boost on one car, may allow less on another, depending on how restrictive the exhaust is that's fitted

Verify first that there are no leaks and the boost reading is correct. If it is, then increase the diameter of the hole in the ring until you reach the desired boost level.

As Nic says, the restrictor ring will vary from car to car. Tryt it without it (carefully) to see if the turbos will boost over 0.8. If so, you will need to enlarge the holw, probabaly by about 2mm all the way around (ie increase the diameter by about 4mm).

You should feel a real wallop in the back when T2 comes on at 1.2Bar

It sounds like you have a restrictive exhaust and I'd bet you can get away without running a restrictor ring at all. Give it a go and if the boost looks like it's climbing above 1.2bar then refit it but enlarged a good bit.

Cheers,

Brian.

Thanks guys, I'm thinking the exhaust is the problem now especially with the lack of any real note change since decatting. I'll try removing the RR and see how it goes.

Cheers

Johnny

Welcome to my world:) I thought mine would be alot louder too but was left disappointed and i'm not hitting fuel cut either.

• 3 weeks later...

OK bit of an update to this I fitted a new catback exhaust as my old one was fecked looked like someone had attacked it with an axe! :blink:

Anyway it's not had any real affect on the boost pressure so still not hitting above stock levels and I'm a bit stuck as to what to do now.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what may be stopping me from achiving higher boost levels. It's really bloody annoying me now :(

Guest Artermis

could be boost leak. its easy for something like a vaccum pipe to perish or go adrift. my dads turbo diseasel had a pipe no bigger than the diameter of ya lil finger perish and lost all performance.

other thing to try would be to have the restrictor ring out altogether and go for a poke. keep an eye on the boost gauge to make sure u dun go over 1.2.

would be easiest way to rule it out.

Not sure that removing the RR would make any difference. As I've gone from having both cats in to decated and new exhaust with pretty much no difference in boost levels.

Would having a really crap air intake stop you from getting bpu levels of boost? I've got some cheap looking thing that came with the car. Not sure of the make it is, the logo is an "X" have posted up some pics so hopefully someone will be able to name it.

Thanks again for the responses

Johnny

030108174431.jpg

030108174456.jpg

Your restrictor ring is too small by the sounds of things, regardless of the exhaust in use, the ring is still the restriction. Take out the ring and go for a drive and see what happens please be careful in case it spikes too high !

If it does boost higher then you know you need to enlarge the ring.