The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear fog lights???

Guest pingz21

Guest pingz21

Just put my 1995 J-spec N/a supra in for an MOT and it failed on there not being a rear fog light!! I had a look at it and as far as I can see it only has an option to switch on the front fog lights on the right hand stalk. I noticed some supras actually have a switch near the ignition for fog lights but mine doesnt can anyone help me at all???

cheers

j-specs don't have rear fog lights. They should be added as part of the SVA when importing them otherwise (as you've found) they wont pass an MOT.

There are conversions you can do to change 1 reversing light into a fog light, or to switch the inner two brakes lights to fog lights similar to the UK model, or the cheap and quick option is to fix a hanging fog light and add a switch for it somewhere on the dash.

On a related issue, (sorry to interrupt the thread) i put my 94 J-Spec TT in for its MOT and it failed partly as the rear fog light was 'not bright enough' (also a front shock had a lose bolt).

I have the rear fog as a red bulb in place of the drivers side reversing light which was installed when the SVA was done. I have not changed it since i've had the car (~ 4 years). It has sailed through every MOT without the fog light being an issue until now, but i'm not sure why all of a sudden it should be a failing point as bulbs don't dim over time surely?

I was going to head to Halfrauds to get a new bulb and see if that made a difference but has anyone else had similar problems?

On a related issue, (sorry to interrupt the thread) i put my 94 J-Spec TT in for its MOT and it failed partly as the rear fog light was 'not bright enough' (also a front shock had a lose bolt).

I have the rear fog as a red bulb in place of the drivers side reversing light which was installed when the SVA was done. I have not changed it since i've had the car (~ 4 years). It has sailed through every MOT without the fog light being an issue until now, but i'm not sure why all of a sudden it should be a failing point as bulbs don't dim over time surely?

I was going to head to Halfrauds to get a new bulb and see if that made a difference but has anyone else had similar problems?

Hi - just trawling through the posts on the rear fog light subject - on my J-spec 97 TT i have an under-dash switch which supposedly turns on a rear foglight, except i've just found that it lights up my off-side clear reversing light, and shows WHITE!!!! yeah, the sort of white that is just as if i WAS actually reversing! My proper reversing light is on the passenger (nearside) and works correctly. So back to your query, have you had any success with a super-bright-red rear fog bulb at all? - one that will pass an MOT?

cheers,

Matthew

The are two problems here. Firstly, you can't buy red bulbs. So you end up going the DIY route which envolves painting a clear bulb. This leads to problem number two. If the paint it put on too think the bulb will not be bright enough to pass an MOT, and if the wrong type of paint is used it will flake over time due to the heat and your red bulb will end up white again.

Last time I checked they didn't make suitable LED bulbs but they might do now, and that would certainly solve the problem.

Thanks or the info and advice Mawby - am waiting for a response from the dealer i bought my car from.................to find out why my rear fog bulb was painted red, but showing distinct signs of losing most of the paint! (hence it looks like a reversing light).