The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Check your oil warning lights...

JustGav

Okay, I know a few people have mentioned it before, BUT make sure your oil warning lights are all functional. My NA had the dry joints issue.

When you first turn the car to ignition, not start, just one click, the dashboard should light up, and part of the opening sequence should include the two lights for oil. The yellow one and the red one. If you aren't getting either of these it is a good idea to check the solder on the back of this unit. It is a quick easy job to do as well if you are competent with a soldering iron and it will save you a fortune in the long run.

This is what a functional unit should look like.

attachment.php?attachmentid=59489&d=1182513429

Gav

DSC00012.JPG

Edited by JustGav
Image updated... (see edit history)

Gav,

It looks like the engine malfunction light is not on (just like mine): has that one got a dry solder on your NA too?

I'll give you a call soon to see when's a good day/time for me to come over with my dry solders (if you're still up for giving me a hand, that is :) )

Gav,

It looks like the engine malfunction light is not on (just like mine): has that one got a dry solder on your NA too?

I'll give you a call soon to see when's a good day/time for me to come over with my dry solders (if you're still up for giving me a hand, that is :) )

Come round tonight if you want dude, soldering iron is still out, and I can test in my car if you want.

Yeah, just busy testing them all, thought I would post up while it was still fresh in my mind.. Engine light was actually a blown bulb so have to replace it.

This is exactly what happened in my N/A.

Got a replacement unit off of Jezzybabes and hey presto - Oil lights, engine light and ABS light all come on when the ignition is turned on ;)

Many thanks to D8MOA who actually pointed out the problem to me in the first place!

Good advice! but I'm glad i went a stage further, or i think i may well have been dealing with a fooked engine by now due to my seal/oil pump problems;)oil pressure gauge with visual and audio warning, and i also wired a super bright LED into the low oil sensor light, belt and braces approach;)

Good advice! but I'm glad i went a stage further, or i think i may well have been dealing with a fooked engine by now due to my seal/oil pump problems;)oil pressure gauge with visual and audio warning, and i also wired a super bright LED into the low oil sensor light, belt and braces approach;)

Electric shocker under the seat??

But yes a super bright LED and buzzer is actually a VERY good idea... might have to look at doing that on it.

Sorted out the dry joints and the oil lights and ABS light are fine but the engine management light still doesn't come on. Swapped the bulb round to check if it was blown and it wasn't, checked for continuity from the connector to the bulb with a meter and that's fine as well. Any ideas?:search:

Sorted out the dry joints and the oil lights and ABS light are fine but the engine management light still doesn't come on. Swapped the bulb round to check if it was blown and it wasn't, checked for continuity from the connector to the bulb with a meter and that's fine as well. Any ideas?:search:

Check that your alarm is off, I've noticed that if I don't deactivate the alarm, it doesn't light up the engine management light...

Check that your alarm is off, I've noticed that if I don't deactivate the alarm, it doesn't light up the engine management light...

The alarm was off but the immobiliser was still on, turned that off and it works fine now. Cheers mate.:)

• 5 months later...
Okay, I know a few people have mentioned it before, BUT make sure your oil warning lights are all functional. My NA had the dry joints issue.

When you first turn the car to ignition, not start, just one click, the dashboard should light up, and part of the opening sequence should include the two lights for oil. The yellow one and the red one. If you aren't getting either of these it is a good idea to check the solder on the back of this unit. It is a quick easy job to do as well if you are competent with a soldering iron and it will save you a fortune in the long run.

This is what a functional unit should look like.

Gav

yeah mine dont work, i have to hit the dash so they come on some times

Yes i have to give my a bang too, they never come on unless you thump it!!!

Guys, I can't say this clear enough, thumping them to turn them on for ignition isn't a solution.... THESE ARE WARNING LIGHTS, YOU NEED TO BE SURE THEY LIGHT WHEN THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO. IF THE LIGHT DOESN'T COME ON YOU COULD RUN SERIOUSLY LOW ON OIL OR OIL PRESSURE WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING.

For the sake of a ten minute job please do it.