The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Check your oil warning lights...

JustGav

I've just got my oil warning lights out to resolder as I'm tired of having to drive with my TRC OFF light on to ensure that the unit is working. Are the warning lights in the cluster different in a UK a spec? I only ask as the right hand warning on mine is a DIFF OIL warning which I thought may relate to the diff oil cooler in some way.

Also a handy bump for a useful thread :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

when one of these lights come on, doesn't the big warning triangle also come on? and, will that still work if these don't, what I'm trying to say is, if you have low oil, or low oil pressure, and these lights aren't working, will the big warning triangle still come on?

Common problem as already said. My last Supra suffered this, as does my current.

With the last Supra I took it to an auto electricians and it cost me about £20 to get sorted.

I can easily solder myself, so might tackle it myself.

Where are the dry joints located, also what do you do to resolve it? Just heat the solder up again?

cheers

Common problem as already said. My last Supra suffered this, as does my current.

With the last Supra I took it to an auto electricians and it cost me about £20 to get sorted.

I can easily solder myself, so might tackle it myself.

Where are the dry joints located, also what do you do to resolve it? Just heat the solder up again?

cheers

If you take the module out of the dash panel, and then remove the two screws to open the unit up. You will see a ribbon cable amongst some other joints. If you have a look you can usually see the dry joint as it goes very dull. I would always recommend if you are capable (read not very difficult) to refresh all the joints alone those lines.

How-to : Heat the solder up and feed a tiny fresh bit in as well, ensure the joint is nice and shiney when you are done :)

• 3 weeks later...

Did mine today, all 4 lights were dead... now all 4 are back alive :)

Just thought i'd add a little bit of advice for anyone who is still unsure... if you wobble the plug and the lights come back on, the chances are the joints where the plug socket meets the board are at fault, if not then try the joints either end of the ribbon. To repair them get your soldering iron nice and hot, and place the flat face of the iron against the pin of the socket, then gently feed in a small amount of solder to the top of the pin, it should run down and make a nice fresh joint between the pin and the board. worked for me anyway :)

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest wantthatone

have the 3 lights on THE RIGHT HAND SIDE, the engine management, both oil, red & orange. is this it or should there be an ABS light, its an N/A

have the 3 lights on THE RIGHT HAND SIDE, the engine management, both oil, red & orange. is this it or should there be an ABS light, its an N/A

Do you have ABS? :) If not then all is okay.

The ABS light is in the upper panel in the picture, it only flashes on for a few seconds when the ignition goes onto II, it doesn't stay on like the other 3 lights.

If you have ABS it will light and go off as Homer says - open bonnet, passenger side near where the charcoal can is would be the location of your ABS on an N/A if you have if. Its probably about the same size as the fuse box cover and has a number of hard pipes coming out of it, theyre not thick pipes.

Quick chck though should all three lights be showing when in position II?

My low oil light is working because its illuminating as I am driving (I took a load of oil out so was expecting it to). However when I turn off, and then turn back to II it isnt lit, upon starting engine it flickers a second and then goes off with the rest.

I done mine last night after asking the Q on the tech section

i am an elec engineer so no probs soldering it

If it helps if all your lights are out it will be on the 0v of the lamp

which mean its will only be one of 3 joints..

on mine you could not see the dry joint but metered it out to find it

on mine it was the left hand side where the ribbon connects to the main board

tried it today all works lovely

Guest civictyper2004

Just checked mine and they dont work either lol, never noticed before. Will make it my task for the weekend to get them sorted out.

Any idea's what bulb they are in case they need replacing?

Guest civictyper2004

Fixed mine now - it was the plastic plug socket on the board was loose on a couple of connections. Re-soldered and hey presto - working again.

• 1 year later...

MMMM from memory the pins that go into the board are 90 degree bent. If you can wiggle them and they have any movement in them and you can physically see the pins move around in the board then that is a dry joint. Dry joints on a whole are a sort of darkish grey colour and not a shinier silver colour. Its very hard to describe really. Basically though if you look at the board and you can see that the area around where the metal bars that feed the bulbs go into the board is not connected by the solder to the board that is your problem.