The mkiv Supra Owners Club

flat battery reset alarm problem

Scooter

The situation is this:- uk spec car /alarm has been set for a number of days as my car has been laid up. This had drained the battery to the point where the key fob wouldn't operate the alarm / central locking. I've just used the key to get in the drivers side and open up the bonnet to sort out the battery but on connecting a donor battery the alarm just keeps going off.

I know some people have had this problem before and (sit down) I have SEARCHED for this and found a thread about this exact problem between Rob Moch and answered by Darell Payne.

Unfortunately the answer was PM'd for whatever reason.

This is not an urgent cry for help as i have other means of transport but it is starting to get to me:twak:

(At least i didn't find this out when a possible buyer was viewing the car)

No amount of key fob pressing of either the normal of panic buttons (including both together) is having any effect. The car will just sit there quietly with the bonnet up and the battery connected to another car, the security light is on but the moment the door is opened the alarm starts:mad:

I've charged the battery up such that the ignition lights, headlights etc all suggest a good enough charge for the fob to operate the central locking as usual. The fob's small red light comes on when the lock unlock button is depressed but this has no effect on disarming the car.

My castle key did not seem to have any effect on the alarm either.

Can the fob be faulty even if the red indicator light is flashing with each press? its just that the fob battery was renewed very recently so i don't think this should be a problem, but i can't understand why i can't just activate the alarm as normal now the car is locked and alarmed as normal.

Hi Scooter,

I had exactly the same problem on my 94 uk auto.

it appears that as the alarm was armed when the battery drained, when the recharged battery was conected, it spikes the alarm ecu, the result was/is , .... a new alrm ecu £145.+vat

apparently, in this situation, you must turn the alarm off with the castle key BEFORE re-connecting the battery

Regards

John

Pity you wasn't close mate or I'd have had a look for you, I have had my battery off and on a few times and when you reconnect the alarm starts sounding until you press the button to disarm (on mine anyway). try disconnecting the battery for a bit and then reconnecting.

I had to replace the nicads in my sounder too, because they have given up.

Originally posted by foodfreak

Hi Scooter,

I had exactly the same problem on my 94 uk auto.

it appears that as the alarm was armed when the battery drained, when the recharged battery was conected, it spikes the alarm ecu, the result was/is , .... a new alrm ecu £145.+vat

apparently, in this situation, you must turn the alarm off with the castle key BEFORE re-connecting the battery

Regards

John

Whoever told you that was pulling your chain mate.

A 12v battery cannot spike anything on a car especially something that pulls less than 3amps, the alternator pushes out 14v and that doesn't even damage anything.

The castle key only deactivates the battery backed up siren under the bonnet which should sound when the battery is disconnected.

I think you were stitched up for 145 quid, if it did fail when you reconnected the battery I suspect that was purely coincedence!

Hi Chris

quite possibly, but

I've been using this particular guy at Bromely Toyota for the last 5 years, he has always known what he's talking about! not the kind to just feed you bulls***t

perhaps 'Spike' was not the correct term, but apparently it is a fairly common occurance on the standard alarm system when re-conecting the battery with the alarm armed. sometimes it can F***k up the alarm ecu

I even managed to get a confirmation from toyota GB technical on this

John

Hi there Scooter. how the new NA

Your white soop has just suffered the same as mine did a few months back.

In the end Mr Toyotas little helpers in Croydon took £200 out of my wallet for a new alarm ecu + 2 new fobs.

I had to get it towed there as the imobiliser had kicked in:(

That included a new battery by the way:stupid:

Hope all else is well.

I used to know what it was like to drive a white supra once you know,,,,,,,,, Now all i have is an empty drive way and no money.:eek:

FFS this doesn't sound good:(

cheers for the info guys looks like i'll have the spend a little more on her before she goes......

Robbie the NA's fine (alarm works and everything), i've had it a few weeks now and i haven't bothered to take out the TT even though i'm insured on both. Its got good throttle response and the lower gearing keeps it quick enough plus its the most confidence inspiring one i've had through the twisties.

Er no, I was kinda assuming (in my infinite ignorance of all things electrical) that the parts needing to be replaced and reset would have to involve some technical input that only toyota could provide?

What i'm saying is that should i be able to source these bits would a normal auto electrics guy be able to do the necessary or would it still need to go to Mr Toyota?

The prospect of getting it done in situe at home is very appealing given the circumstances even if i have to get the bits new, so i'd be interested to know if a non toyota fix is possible.

ok so just to get this straight i get the alarm ecu from toyota and my friendly local auto electrician does the rest with no problems if he's half decent?

Ahh 're sync the keys' yes my thoughts exactly:conf:

BTW this presumably means that i could rip out the old alarm and fit a toad 20ai (?) or something instead for what looks like not much more money. Do you think this add or subtract from its impending sale? (i have only ever had one key fob for the original alarm which works fine but looks past its best)

cheers Matt

Personally, if you were keeping the car, the Toad would be a far better option for a number of reasons. But if you can find a cheap 2nd hand replacement, I can't see a different alarm would really add to the resale value.

If it comes to the point where you can't get a 2nd hand unit, call me and I'll see if I can help.

I'm looking at around £100 from toyota for the alarm ecu and I have to get it there plus they can't do it until 11th july!!

It's parked in a nightmare position to even get onto a tow truck and i'm not sure my AA breakdown recovery covers me for home breakdowns, so the costs could mount up.

Possibly better to get the toad, I think i'll give you a call Matt

Thanks again.

Yeh i tried that, but no combination of key fob pressing was helping.

I've got a new battery today and need to connect this up to try pulling the Dome fuse as suggested by another member, but its currently hammering it down.

A big thank you to everyone for their input so far especially to Christian, (nice) Matt and 400BHP, looks like in time everythings gonna work out fine:)

This last few days has been a PITA but the help received has eased my mind and in monetary terms will probably save me my subscription many times over.