The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mkiv Auto gearboxes....

Barry

Now as I'm new to auto boxes I have a question...

If I were to rev the engine in Neutral to say 2500rpm and pull the lever to 'D', what would happen?

A) Would I get a quick standing start?

or

B) Would I get a fecked gearbox?

but dont do it for too long, a few secs max. doing this heats the atf very quickly and because u r not moving (no moving air) the heat just builds up, this boils the fluid and ruins its ability to lubricate. doing it alot means u have to change the fluid more often, how often?, im not too sure (i think its been covered in another thread somewhere).

u also have to stamp on the brake quite hard. ive had the rear wheels start to spin on wet slippy ground at 2000 rpm. its yr front brakes that r holding u still.

Guest Mycroft

2 pedal trickery is a skill worth developing, it only does harm if you do lots of starts one after another where the fluid doesn't get the chance to cool down, practice it everyday slowly building the revs. max out at 2500/3000, the hold should be for no more than 4 secs, don't sit there with the rear wheels spinning, the WHOLE car is locked at the start.

Most people get this wrong spin the rear wheels too much dont load the Torque Convertor and just don't get the most out of their cars, I have taught the correct technique to about 20 people, all said they knew what to do, all in fact got it wrong every time, it is NOT easy.

The slow start off circuit can be switched out, when I get the chance to meet Pete Betts, I will discuss with him the matter of making a commerciallly available 'fix' for this.

Adi, if you have the A340E box then you are just not doing it right, what box have you, I thought the JZA70 had the same as me and the JZA80!

Isn't dumping from N to D very very bad... as in the only reason it does blow the box to pieces is because they're quiet high grade? MKIV Auto's definately seem to launch better in MAN-U mode, since they very rarly seem to use 1st unless you really provoke them. Make sure O/D is off too.

I don't really have a clue compared to Mycroft but since my somewhat abysmal launches at the top speed challenge i've shaped up a bit. I'd say no more than 2000 rpm, as surely the extra power provided by the spooled turbo is gonna cause a lot of excess heat? Wheel spin ain't a problem with the RLTC set properly. Infact the launch control could probably be adapted for a power brake launch.

Guest Mycroft

Yes, I should have started the reply with; 'for christs sake dont do that to your 'box' never ever select any gear at elevated revs.

Those very nice 'anti-terrorist' moves that stop your VIP passenger from being shot are 'one-offs' I show chauffeurs how to do it in clapped out mercs, the Mercs die very shortly afterwards.

Guest Mycroft

No problem at all Barry.

I think that auto'boxes have 2 kinds of drivers, those that just 'squirt and go' they just use 'D' , 'R' and 'P' for the most part the box deals with this beautifully, allowing the inept to drive with all their 'attention' skills focused on the road, if they had a 3-pedal they would kill lots of us!

The other is the smart cookie, he/she sees driving with an Auto 'box as an intellectual thing, something to comprehend, when approached this way, from a 'thinking' point of view, the manual dexterity of the 3-pedal looks like just a juggling act, the auto'box driven with the mind not just the foot is like a good puzzle and far more involving than a manual, but saying that EVERYBODY should try to develope their skill with the 3-pedal first, only then do you progress to a more intellectual 'box, all but a very few serious road cars would gain a  benefit from an auto'box.

Please don't tell me about the great skill in driving a 3-pedal well, I agree, but for the most part it is just co-ordination, it is in no way intellectual.

(Edited by Mycroft at 9:32 am on Mar. 26, 2002)

Quote:

Adi, if you have the A340E box then you are just not doing it right, what box have you, I thought the JZA70 had the same as me and the JZA80!

I think i have the mk3 box, which is different to both, i'll check on the EPC later today. I know for a fact though i definately can not get over 2200 revs with my foot on the brake, which is not enough to do a power launch.

Erm, I dunno about anyone else, but after driving for about 6 months (ie. 6 months after taking my test), driving a car with a clutch was pretty much natural and required very little 'processing' (ie. what you would normally use to read a road) thought.

I can walk and chew gum, too.

Guest Mycroft

My point precisely, 6 months it is second nature, then a little practice with speeded up co-ordination, you can do all that there is to do in a 3 pedal, a conjuring trick is easy to an experienced hand.

The Auto'box takes more to master it than just manipulation, you have to think to get the best out of one. 5 years after driving your first auto you can still be learning, if you want to.

Quote: from Mycroft on 6:26 pm on Mar. 26, 2002[br]My point precisely, 6 months it is second nature, then a little practice with speeded up co-ordination, you can do all that there is to do in a 3 pedal, a conjuring trick is easy to an experienced hand.

The Auto'box takes more to master it than just manipulation, you have to think to get the best out of one. 5 years after driving your first auto you can still be learning, if you want to.

That's only because the bastards change gear when you don't want them to, and vica versa...  May as well try and master supermarket queues, I bet you would still be learning after five years at that as well! :biggrin:

-Ian

Quote: from Barry on 9:09 am on Mar. 26, 2002[br]Ok, thanks for the excellent advice. :)

I take it there is no problem with me going down from D to 2 when I'm slowing down for a junction or something?

Yeah, just use the gearbox for engine braking, thats what I always did. You saw me take off over drive to start slowing down, then get in to 2 to get a bit more engine braking and then once its in 2 I found it would make a better standing start. I never use L as its just geared so low that you spin the wheels up before being able to change.

JB