The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front Bumper/Grill Question

Paul

I'm going to take off my front bumper and attach a grill from behind and having looked at the instructions and on the car have noticed that I may have a problem with the upper and lower centre 'retaining strips'.

My idea was to mount tabs on the inside of the bumper, around the inside edge of the 'ducts' and then bolt the mesh to these. Well, do the retainer strips get in the way of the mesh sitting flush against the inside lip and will I need to cut round them?

I will see what I'm up against when I remove but would like to know before what problems may arise :eek:

Cheers, Paul

I was going to take my bumper off to mesh mine as well, but i did'nt in the end too much hassle. I cut out a carboard template to fit in the hole nice and tight, used that to cut out the mesh. On my bumper I have a strip top and bottom and some fixings that i was able to cable tie the mesh in. Looks nice and you cant see any of the cable tie's.

Originally posted by 400BHP

i want to do the same thing, but I also want to clean out my intercooler when the bumper is off. anyone removed their bumper, if so how do you do it?

Me too, was going to give intercooler and rad a good clean/check. Also got two new headlights to go in so will do this at the same time (H/lights have to come out to remove bumper).

Link for instructions on removal;

http://www.apexi-usa.com/productdocumentation/intake_ic_jza80kit.pdf

Al, thing is I've got some stainless woven mesh that's well solid and would be difficult to fix from the front and as with all stainless woven, it's 'flexible' (no welds) so will need fixing.

Paul

Originally posted by 400BHP

i want to do the same thing, but I also want to clean out my intercooler when the bumper is off. anyone removed their bumper, if so how do you do it?

Don't be tempted to jetwash it!

Try gently blowing it through with compressed air, or using a normal hose with a sprinkler nozzle. It's so easy to blast all the fins across the room that you have to be very careful.

Have been seriously thinking about doing this as well so finding this recent topic has been a big help :)

The link to the removal of the bumper and headlights is going to be very handy as well, also have a set of UK lights that need to go in so even better now I know what to do.

Couple of questions though.

1. Mesh, where do you get yours from? I've just spent about 2 hours going round to B&Qs, Homebase, Halfrauds etc and have sort of decided on what mesh to get.....but that leads me on to question....

2. Size, do you think it's better to have big holes in the grill or small? The mesh I was thinking of was alot smaller than anything I've seen posted in pics in this thread.

Cheers for any thoughts :)

Ah cheers for that :)

Small holes does look good but those install look far too forward IMO, would definitely look better set at the back of hole.

I think I'll get a sheet of the small hole mesh and maybe rest behind to see what it looks like, the sheet is only a fiver so not really that much to lose - unlike Halfrauds who wanted £17 for a sheet that would only just fit over the hole.

Right, next stop B&Q :)

I've just finished meshing my bumper aswell.

I only meshed the two side openings (as I put a new intercooler in the stock place, and wanted to stop it eating fag butts and leaves).

I took the bumper off and bolted the mesh in using the indicator mountings.

It took a while as the mesh needed to be shaped and edged - but I'm pretty happy with the result.

The car is all back together now.......and no left over bits!

A little tip for anyone taking the front undertray of a UK TT - don't bother trying to dismantle the active spoiler to get the front undertray off. Just get the bumper off and unbolt the whole tray and spoiler assembly in 1 piece. Not that you will need to do this if just meshing the bumper:stupid:

Jeremy