The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTi - removing the TC fuse

SupraSapphire

Hi guys,

I recently had RLTC fitted and have just been out to my car to remove the standard traction control fuse. After removing it I started the car and all seemed fine. That was until I tried to go any where! When I put my foot on the accerlerator nothing happened. Does anyone know anything about this? I know a lot of you have removed your TC fuses without any problems. Is it something to do with the VVTi?

The fuse I removed was located in the fuse box near the battery and was labelled ETCS which I took to mean electronic traction control system. Is that the correct fuse?

I've put the fuse back in now and the cars fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jon

Originally posted by Lenagh

/Len tells everyone going mascrat on Monday :D :baa: :stupid: :moo:

Yeah, I'm sure everyone will be takin the mic tomorrow :twak:

Still haven't found the right fuse though. At the manchester meet today we all tried to workout which one it was but just couldn't find it. There aren't any labelled TRC as on earlier models.

Is it a 7.5 fuse?

Originally posted by Chase

Jon check this link re fuse. I think it's the top upper of the two 7.5 amp fuses.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3855

Thanks for that Mike but according to that pic the fuse is the one I removed first of all, the ETCS fuse.

Tried the 7.5 amp one below it and got a number of dash warning light lighting up, none of which were the TC light.

Originally posted by Thorin

Isn't it labeled on the inside of the fusebox cover anyway? I know it is on mine.

Yeah, they're all labelled but theres no TRC one :conf: I'll try to get a pic of the fuse box cover tomorrow.

Originally posted by bromy

Bromy, my car was the gunmetal N/A, good to meet you all.

It seems that on the late models the ETCS fuse is in the place of the TRC fuse. So where did the TRC fuse go?

Apologies to anyone reading the thread thats wondering where all these quotes are coming from. We accidentlly got on to the subject on the Manchester meet thread :D

I wonder what that 'ALT-S' fuse is if it's not TRAC?

Jon, just keep pulling them out until the TC stops working :D

Or alternatively, drive slower, which has the added advantage of saving on fuel....Supra, drive slower? Supra, drive slower? What am I talking about :blink:

Tried both the 7.5 amp fuses during my lunch. Span the wheels and the TC switch to snow mode on both attemps. So I'm affraid it doesn't seem to be either.

I did notice that the tc light didn't come on when the wheels were spinning. Think that was when the ALT-S fuse was out.

Thanks for trying anyway.

Jon

Does the stock tc & snow mode have time to cut-in with RLTC switched on?

Alternatively, you could remove the TRAC ECU...It's behind the stereo I think (not sure about vvti location though). I don't know if you can remove it without affecting anything else, hopefully someone else can answer that.

That's the ABS ECU behind the stereo, the traction one is next to the ECU in the passenger footwell (at least on a manual car anyway). I removed mine when I installed RLTC with no problems, but mine is a manual, and pre-VVTI. I'm fairly sure the label on it was ETCS too. I guess the VVTI must have a drive-by-wire throttle by the sounds of it ?