The mkiv Supra Owners Club

stock flywheel on uk spec TT

michel lane

Can anyone tell me if this this fact or fiction, I was told today after enquiring about fitting my new clutch (havent ordered it yet), that the standard UK spec Flywheel will not be able to cope with anything more then 500 lbs of torgue through it because its to thin ???? and what they suggested was to change it for a different fly wheel.

This is from a toyota garage after i enquired about fitting charges of a new clutch , the clutch being the Twin plate TRD one. Now is this true ???? :conf: would appriciate all the help :sly: Iam intending to get to about 600lbs of torque throught the new clutch , with the hybrid turbo upgrade and other stuff...

ive read that some of the americans r using the stock fly with after market clutches and running around 700whp. i cant comment on the validity of it tho.

one of the guys on supraforums is gathering data on crank walk, which seems to have happened to a few us sups. he's gathering clutch, fly, oil info. it seems a little early to say yet but it may b linked to some clutch and fly combos.

Originally posted by michel lane

Can anyone tell me if this this fact or fiction, I was told today after enquiring about fitting my new clutch (havent ordered it yet), that the standard UK spec Flywheel will not be able to cope with anything more then 500 lbs of torgue through it because its to thin ???? and what they suggested was to change it for a different fly wheel.

This is from a toyota garage after i enquired about fitting charges of a new clutch , the clutch being the Twin plate TRD one. Now is this true ???? :conf: would appriciate all the help :sly: Iam intending to get to about 600lbs of torque throught the new clutch , with the hybrid turbo upgrade and other stuff...

The stock flywheel is internally damped to help crank and gearbox life. The damping element has a finite life, and I am now replacing flywheels on a regular basis, they give a characteristic rattling sound that people often mistake for gearbox noise. They are probably capable of handlinng the torque, certainly not too thin, but drag starts, if that's your thing, generate massive amounts of heat and the effect of this on the damper is unknown to me, but probably very detrimental. You won't get 600 ft lbs of torque from the mods you cite, anyway :-)

Seriously modded engines should really have a one piece chrome moly steel flywheel fitted. I think JUN list one. There will be more noise and a reduced transmission and crank life with these, but they are more suited to a radically modded engine and drive train.

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

The stock flywheel is internally damped to help crank and gearbox life. The damping element has a finite life, and I am now replacing flywheels on a regular basis, they give a characteristic rattling sound that people often mistake for gearbox noise.

Ugh - is this rattling noise really noticable when you stop the engine? If so - how difficult is it to replace, how much would it cost, and as someone who is only intending hybrids and does very little drag racing is a stock item a better bet than an uprated one? Mine's pretty baaaad... :(

Keith, yes, this rattle is often first heard at idle and switch off. I haven't had one fail altogether, but have now fitted about 5 flywheels because of this. I'd say stay with a stock unit, engine life may be compromised by a one piece flywheel and noise almost certainly will increase without the damper. I think a new flywheel is about 170 quid, very cheap for what it consists of, IMO.