The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTi Dyno Sheets @ JAE

V

Had my car dyno'd at JAE to help sort out my problem with dropping revs occassionally at 4.5-5k.

yr 2000

6sp manual

VVTi

CAT back exhaust (Bullet)

K&N replacement panel filter

HKS bov

Otherwise standard engine.

Seems to be pulling ok, but it did show the problem, which is a good thing i suppose - at least it can be repeated.

I also tightend up the bov which done diddly squat.

Now going to check the hoses and smic (+standard bov), although the guy at THOR said it could also be the CAT's which would be his first guess.

I was quite pleased with the result, even though of my drop when no.2 is well on.

Please pop you thoughts/comments down.

Regards

Stephen V

hmm...

That would seem to be in line with the stated 280hp out of the factory - probably. i dont know what others are getting.

But i dont really see my mods to be that much of a power improvement, especially estimated 360hp from the engine.

Cheers

Stephen V

Not that bad a result for a cats in stock m8

Just some initial comments - and prob not worth diddly

Really nice pull from the first turbo!

Second turbo might seem overly poor?

Boost drop at advent if second coming on line 3750 seems excessive(?)

Fuelling seems overly rich after 4000 revs - losing you some power there

Probably right to check your hoses - wonder if the pre-spool of the second might be losing some pressure?

:thumbs:

Originally posted by V

estimated 360hp from the engine.

All this adding 20% is very dubious IMO. I think it was Terry Saunders that was saying we should treat the Thor numbers as the Flywheel figure rather than the hub figure, I tend to agree.

Originally posted by Paul E

Not that bad a result for a cats in stock m8

Just some initial comments - and prob not worth diddly

Really nice pull from the first turbo!

Second turbo might seem overly poor?

Boost drop at advent if second coming on line 3750 seems excessive(?)

Fuelling seems overly rich after 4000 revs - losing you some power there

Probably right to check your hoses - wonder if the pre-spool of the second might be losing some pressure?

:thumbs:

Yes, I agree with all thoughs points Paul.

I'm trying to track it down.

1st T is doing wonders.

2nd is the problem.

It seems to be more prominent when i floor it at about 3.5k rather than starting really low down in the rev range, as if it related to no.2 coming on line.

I've only really noticed it once i changed from the standard panel to the K&N and changed the standard BOV to the HKS.

I've checked the visable hoses, so i'll now start probimg further.

Will go back to normal setup and see if that does anything as well.

Many thanks

SV

Originally posted by Jake

All this adding 20% is very dubious IMO. I think it was Terry Saunders that was saying we should treat the Thor numbers as the Flywheel figure rather than the hub figure, I tend to agree.

I dont agree. When my car was dyno'd at G-Force it put out 263RWHP (323bhp estimated with an 18% loss), running totally stock with no problems, now do you think thats normal figure for a car sold as being 326bhp? or should I think my car has 263 bhp - which it doesnt.

I was reffering specifically to Thor figures though Rob, yes your figures seem to tie up. Mine seemed a little too high to me. I'll leave it at that - don't want to hijack the thread.

Just realised that G-Force might be an event that Thor was at. I thought you meant you had it dyno'd by a company called G-Force

Well that all looks very healthy to me. I wish my decatted RZ made as much torque as your VVTi does. That's going to be great fun once it's been decatted!

My VVT-i decatted was making 392 of torque......

EDITED: this was done at Thor....

dyno.jpg

Originally posted by Bobbeh

What figures did you get Jake?

350.5 Hp DIN @ 1.17 Bar and 5900rpm

348 ft/lb at 4900rpm

I was reffering to the torque V's car made on the first turbo, didn't make that very clear - sorry.

His stock vvti car makes 280 ft/lb @ 3000rpm, my decatted RZ only managed 250 to 260 at the same revs (seemed to vary up to 12 ft/lbs between runs as well)

Yeah Tims figures came in a bit low (I wasn't gonna name him here like you lot though;) ) His was diagnosed as restrictions in the exhaust system ie a buggered cat or box and not a standard power output. His fuelling was also on the side. His print out did say that the power figure was at the flywheel but theres no way that he was running that figure at the flywheel.

Originally posted by dandan

This has been discussed several times and is almost a pointless debate.

20% is certainly waaay over the top. :)

Pointless? Why? Because nobody has yet got to the bottom of how much the Thor figures are higher than other dynos?

I also think adding 20% to the Thor figures is completely wrong, great for Pub Bragging Rights™, but that's about all.

We just need to figure out what the actual percentage loss between the hubs and the flywheel is, right?