The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best induction kit/exhaust for N/A??

Guest Supracar

Guest Supracar

Hi, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this is a duplicated post.

What is generally considered to be the best induction kit/exhauat combination (seeking increased BHP) for a non turbo?

I would leave the stock air box, air filter and ducting totally alone, it works fine. I sell cat removal pipes for the N/A, they give a worthwhile power gain. Mate them up to a free flowing aftermarket exhaust system. I favour the HKS all stainless systems they have recently brought out. I can supply these too, although some people like other makes. In reality there's not a lot to choose between them.

hi ,i just got my n/a 4weeks ago and have fitted an apexi induction kit this gives the n/a 10-15bhp increase and it sounds great on full chat easy to fit but on of the brackets had to be modified .its a dry filter and requires no maintenance except the occasional blow job with an air hose to get full benifit fit a s/s exhaust try .http://www.longlifeexhuasts.co.uk i think this is right address if not do a search.i got my filter from .http://www.whifbits.co.uk

graet site for all things supra---dave

The gains were on turbocharged cars not normally aspirated and the same gains would not necessarily be seen on a NA.

Also, once you factor in underbonnert temperatures i think you'll find you're more likely to be losing 10-15bhp on anything but the coolest of days. If you spent some time constructing an isolated cool air box and ducting then you may well see some small gains. However you'd then be looking at a pretty much stock setup wouldn't you. Stock intake is hard to beat, unless your main aimis more induction noise and underbonnet looks. If you must change something then there's always a replacement panel filter.

i have got a heat sheild and direct ducting to the intake since installing the kit my car reacts quicker to full throttle and does sound better including slight increase in exhuast note and i will be having it dyno tested so i will post the results.and your comments could apply to the turbo as well ?

Hopefully with some decent ducting you may see some gains, or at least stop performance falling as the underbonnet temperatures rise.

And yes, this applies to the turbocharged cars too. This has been witnessed on Pete Bett's dyno by at least one owner on the bbs maybe more. I personally have stuck with the stock airbox and intend to do so unless I opt for the single/twin turbo route. A well ducted and sealed cold air intake with a good filter may yield some results but personally I feel there are other areas where money can be better spent ingaining performance. This may not be quite as true for the NA owners.

Be nice if you did a back to back comparison on the dyno of stock vs modified.

if you have any sugestions on perfomance mods without breaking the bank . i have an induction kit and no cats and a performance exhaust s/s i dont know what manufactor. im thinking of having it chipped thats when its going on the dyno.

Guest Supracar

Well, I opted to leave the induction alone (for now???) and have an HKS silent Hi Power exhaust fitted, and I'm very impressed with the results (sound and power!!). Highly recommended!!