The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changing power steering fluid???

chris n.

i'd be interested in this too...... I remember reading someone doing it a while back (Rob?) but couldn't find anything via the search either.....

In summary I'm sure he disconnected a pipe and ran the car and added new fluid to the reservior til the new fluid came through...but can't remember the exact details......:(

• 17 years later...

Nothing like bringing an old thread back to life using more modern technology.

I just changed my steering fluid using a Sealey vacuum oil extractor that is one of the lazy ones pulling a vacuum off the air compressor rather than the hand pump variety. All in it took 10 minutes to set up and 3 minutes to change the oil and a couple of minutes to get things back together and clean. 

I drained the reservoir using the extractor and then removed the top return hose. There are several pipes of varying sizes that come with the extractor and one went on the reservoir that I suspended the loose end from one of the bonnet catches. The extractor line went into the removed return line. Then it was a simple case of filling up the reservoir with the new oil (Castrol Transmax) and then switching on the extractor, topping the reservoir as the oil drained. With the clear pipe running off the reservoir return port there was no prospect of draining the reservoir. The oil in the extractor line turned a nice pink after around 750ml, I added most of the remainder to do the near 1l flush. Then I ran the oil down until it was level with the top of the return (visible in the suspended tube). Recoupled the return pipe to the reservoir using my finger as a temporary plug to minimise any spill (I had a towel under the reservoir that did get maybe 2ml of oil on it), then checked the level and it was at the correct cold level. 

After clearing up I then started engine and did a couple of lock to lock turn and an initial slight hiss quickly gave way to silence. 

No mess and a really quick job. I like my Sealey pump, very versatile with its 9l capacity.s-l1600.png.47b590443ef168d9d69279386bae8788.png