The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacing jspec brake pads

Patrick_Devlin

How easy is it to replace J Spec brake pads, both front and rear?

I've just looked at the manual from mkiv.com and it seems straight forward enough. But I'd like to get some info from folk here who do them. Please bear in mind that I am a technical buffoon when it comes to things like this, but want to learn! :)

How long would it take?

What is the likelihood of me loosing the spring clips or breaking them?

What are the chances of me having the car with no brakes sitting in the car park for a week? :stupid:

What would someone charge to do it for me?

All help gratefully appreciated.

Ta guys!

:)

Very straightforward. Only problem can be getting the caliper's off as the studs can be a b&stard to loosen if you're using axle stands, difficult to get the leverage. Make sure you have some releasing fluid and a good extension. Other than that you just push the piston right back into the caliper and remove the pads.

Make sure you're not tired and in a rush and don't twist the brake pipe when you put the caliper back on. My, er, mate did that once...:innocent:

Originally posted by Nick

Very straightforward. Only problem can be getting the caliper's off as the studs can be a b&stard to loosen if you're using axle stands, difficult to get the leverage. Make sure you have some releasing fluid and a good extension

Did you undo the sliding pins or the main caliper to upright bolts? The latter should be done up to a bazillion Newton-meters, but the sliding pins are little more than hand tight. :eek:

BIggest problem I had was pushing the piston back with my bare hands (grrrr).

Originally posted by Nick

you just push the piston right back into the caliper and remove the pads...don't twist the brake pipe when you put the caliper back on.

Thanks for the advice, but even this is stretching my understanding :conf: I guess I'll have to take the wheel off and get my hands dirty to familiarise myself with the brake assembly.

Good news is that I've just been quoted £25 inc VAT labour to change front pads :) That sounds like a bargain!

Darren, how many zeros does a Bazillion have? Not sure my torque wrench does that, its a bit old! :D

Originally posted by Darren Blake

Did you undo the sliding pins or the main caliper to upright bolts? The latter should be done up to a bazillion Newton-meters, but the sliding pins are little more than hand tight. :eek:

BIggest problem I had was pushing the piston back with my bare hands (grrrr).

Caliper to upright bolts.

Won't have this problem any more, the Brembo's have brackets and the nuts are much eaiser to get at :)

Originally posted by Patrick_Devlin

Good news is that I've just been quoted £25 inc VAT labour to change front pads :) That sounds like a bargain!

should be an indication to you of how little is involved!

I did mine for the first time a month or so ago.

Guide from memory

loosen wheels nuts

Jack up

Remove wheel

loosen the bolts Darren mentions, x2 which were easy to undo.

Move caliper away from disk and the remaining fixed part of the system and place on a upturned bucket or something similar that will stop the weigh bearing on the brake line.

Loosen Brake fluid cap, check at this point the level of your fluid. If its at normal/full level and you are replacing very worn out pads then the likelyhood is that you will need to remove some fluid after changing a couple corners (syringe / pipet is best for this)

Remove old pads if they don't drop out, and then push the piston back, which can take a bit of force but shouldn't cause major problems.

Slot in the new pads and lift the caliper back into original position slot the bolts back in and secure.

Remember to pump the brake pedal when finished and check the final fluid level etc.

i think that's it, worked for me and i too am a 'technical buffoon'

Jeez - No wonder you had problems!!

All you have to do completely undo the lower sliding pin bolt, and loosen the top one, then swivel the caliper away from the disc.

There's an easy way and a hard way and it looks like I did it the hard way. :baa:

Jeez - No wonder you had problems!!

All you have to do completely undo the lower sliding pin bolt, and loosen the top one, then swivel the caliper away from the disc.

As both pins are swivel there is no need at all to loosen the bolt on the lower one, just to remove the top one, tha caliper will then pivot on the pin itself.

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

As both pins are swivel there is no need at all to loosen the bolt on the lower one, just to remove the top one, tha caliper will then pivot on the pin itself.

LOL. If we keep shaving steps off this job, the pads will soon be changing themselves :)

I think I loosened the other bolt so the sliding pin gaiter didn't twist when I rotated the caliper.

Or something...:innocent:

First time i did mine was a pig.......purley because the pins were siezed........actually managed to bend one getting it out.

From experience i would have a spare set of pins when changing again just in case?

The rears were even worse as could not get behind to hammer the pins forward......a local garage ended up chiseling the front dome off the knocking through from the front.

All new were greased before refitting......

Well hope it may help?