The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power Steering Fluid Levels

R3DG3CKO ROB

Hi Guys

I've got a whining noise coming from the power steering when the engine's cold in sync with the revs. I'm hoping it's just that the fluid is low or it might indicate the pump itself needs changing but first step is to check the fluid level - I can't see a level mark inside the fluid container. Can someone direct me to what I'm sure is going to be a fairly obvious indicator? The fluid looked very dark and I'm sure needs changing but I don't want to get the garage to flush the system if there is enough fluid, which would indicate that it's the pump that's gone as they'll only have to do it again.

Rob

Sounds like you just need to top up the fluid. I was getting a very faint whine a few weeks back and checked the level. Turned out it needed a little top up and all was good again. If the noise goes away then you can go ahead and do a flush :)

If it needs bleeding it might be a good idea to tape a rubber glove over the top as someone suggested when I done mine, as when I turned the steering wheel the fluid over flowed out of the resoviour and got very messy. This will allow air to escape filling the glove and still and keep fluid inside just incase.