The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How does the supra handle?

Guest Sanchi

Cool how extreme you going? Totally carbon shell...? :eyebrows:

As much as I would love to thats a bit too expensive for me! :) Ill probably start with the body first to see how light I can get it and then work on the interior.

you haven't driven an m3 then, compared to a supra they're like gocarts

M3's are barges to drive. They are "agile" in that when you kick the tail out they are very very easy to control but thats about it. An M3 would get blown away by a decent sup with comparable drivers.

Im not confusing my terminology but it doesnt really matter :) whether there adjustable platforms with adjustable dampers or like the o/e set up there still coilovers ;)

I'm with you Dunk,terminology correct but as you say it doesn't really matter as long as the nut behind the wheel knows what he's doing. Any rear wheel drive car with more than a couple hunderd BHP can be a pig in the wet but worth it for the sheer fun. :D

Ps: Ricky i did read your post again and it still implies that DNK was wrong.

Whilst watching overs go around Llandow it did seem as though most supras seemed to have a fair amount of body roll, and looking through some of the picks that were taken seems to confirm this. I have never really felt this in mine but I'm guessing it would be the same. I still maintain that I can chuck it about as much as my old Renault 5 turbo and 205 GTI with just as much confidence.

You did look at the SAAB and the BMW pictures too, didn't you? ;)

AIUI, some body roll is good on a car that isn't always only to be used on silky smooth tracks. Apparently up to 5 degrees is generally "acceptable", and most (if not all) of the Supras weren't seeing that, I'm sure.

you haven't driven an m3 then, compared to a supra they're like gocarts

Quite possibly:) the steering in my supra is sh!t compared to our old m3, in a straight line the supra would leave it standing but in twisty bits of road the m3 was far more fun and predictable, supra feels heavy/clumsy in comparison.

Get your suspension & geometry sorted out, there shouldn't be a big difference like that. I'd be confident my Surpa could match any M3 in the handling department since I got it sorted out. :)

All i meant to imply was that if you ask a hundred car enthusiasts what coilovers are, 90% will immediately think it refers to adjustable suspension, rather than just the usual springs and dampers, which yes they are coilover design, but you only have to look at the hundreds of adverts out there, and all of them refer to adjustable type, hence my remark.

i used to have a type r which i bought new and in comparison to the supra i have to say it turned in much quicker and felt very stable in the corners which i would expect my only disapointment is being front wheel drive with 200bhp i found it just couldnt put the power down quickly but i have to say i loved driving the ctr but i do enjoy the supra more now that its suspension/geo and tyres have been sorted thanks to cw

Quite possibly:) the steering in my supra is sh!t compared to our old m3, in a straight line the supra would leave it standing but in twisty bits of road the m3 was far more fun and predictable, supra feels heavy/clumsy in comparison.

There is definitely something wrong there mate. Your 19's won't help but may I suggest that your bushes and dampers may be tired and in need of a refresh and that your geometry is well out of kilter.

E30 apart, M3's steering is famed for having all the feel of a dead man's hand.

One thing that goes in the M3's favour is that it's a smaller car, the Supra is a lot wider by about 8 inches.

There is definitely something wrong there mate. Your 19's won't help but may I suggest that your bushes and dampers may be tired and in need of a refresh and that your geometry is well out of kilter.

E30 apart, M3's steering is famed for having all the feel of a dead man's hand.

One thing that goes in the M3's favour is that it's a smaller car, the Supra is a lot wider by about 8 inches.

had the alignment done and had the bushes looked over and all was fine, but the 19's aren't helping, hopefully the new year will bring some 18's with correct offsets and some new suspension arms and drop links.

I hope you guys arent just being Biased, judging by Gazboys avatar, maybe not :D

Next Friday i have a track day, and a friend has an E46 M3. His got breathing mods, such as exhaust, headers, ECU, some suspension, semi slicks, and fixed seats. Mines BPU, Power FC, Cooler, full exhaust, tein ss (Too soft), semis. I hope i can beat him haha.

Just wanted to add that sometimes agility gets confused with steering rack ratio and power steering input. Resulting in perceived amount of steering effort required to get the car to turn.

I would say that if the Supra had a faster ratio on the steering rack then more people would notice the agility for a car of its size.

Swap the 19's for a set of decent lightweight forged 18's such as Volks, refresh the links with new bushes and have a chat with Chris Wilson about his suspension kit and alignment. You'll have a new car.

I have 17" Advan RGII RIms for teh track and Dunlop 02g and RE55s Semis.

Just wanted to add that sometimes agility gets confused with steering rack ratio and power steering input. Resulting in perceived amount of steering effort required to get the car to turn.

I would say that if the Supra had a faster ratio on the steering rack then more people would notice the agility for a car of its size.

Good point. I had a go in a Caterham recently and the steering was very fast for a small input. I suppose that's part of the 'sporty' feel of that car (plus I suppose it's necessary as it'd be impossible to turn that wheel much further without hitting your hands on your legs!). It did make it very heavy in the car park however.

All i meant to imply was that if you ask a hundred car enthusiasts what coilovers are, 90% will immediately think it refers to adjustable suspension, rather than just the usual springs and dampers, which yes they are coilover design, but you only have to look at the hundreds of adverts out there, and all of them refer to adjustable type, hence my remark.

So marketing boswellox then.

Millions of women (and some men) spend billions of pounds on face creams that say they'll make you look younger...

my car handles superbly, with it's 335's at the rear it defies physics. God bless my sexy and highly expensive pirelli P zeros. £400 a shot with a discount.

Any chance you could let me know where you manage to get them from for that price for when I need to renew mine ?