The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sudden Car Shutdown - Left Hand Bends ONLY!

Sheefa

Yep, that title is strange and hopefully Greg @ Turbofit will give a few more details on this thread soon.

Basically, this follows on from this thread when I was having problems before and no real answer:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=97561

Greg has had the car for the last week and done a load of brilliant work to it - she's running well now except this problem.

Sometimes, rarely, but sometimes, when giving it some power around a left hand bend/roundabout etc the car will just shut down. Ignition goes off and you loose PAS and the servo assisted brakes! Not good. Initially, Greg thought it could be down to the problems I had with my fuel pump - but after that was sorted it's still doing it. :rolleyes:

It has never done it before I had RLTC and my Clifford 650 alarm fitted - at the same time sadly so I can't easily diagnose which is the little git causing the problem. It's very weird, only does it on a left hand turn!:search:

It can't be the Blackjax because you enter the code and it switches off, de-mobilised and raring to go. Plus, when the car shutsdown randomnly, the alarm doesn't sound either!! It does however if you purposely forget to put the Blackjax code in like I have done before :innocent:

It could be alarm related, or RLTC related which is sadly hardwired into the ECU so not a simple uninstall to check. The car doesn't do it all the time either - it's random.

Anyone have any idea what could be the cause or had similar problems?

I'm out on the piss now, so when back at circa 2am, I'll be logging on to see some very helpful posts no doubt! ;)

Thanks guys................please help! I'm so near getting my car properly sorted for once (touch wood). :)

Greg

Is your car called Christine by any chance?

Is it just the engine that cuts or is it *everything*, i.e. dash light go out, etc

If its everything it could well be the battery or main wiring from it (May explain why is left turn only), is it fully secured?

As I said on the phone, get the alarm installation checked again by the installers first. Then have a look at the power supply for the RLTC. Has it got a proper blade fuse or the crappy inline one that it comes with. Hook it up to a laptop and go for a drive with lots of left hand bends and moniter the wheel speed trace. If one of your abs sensors is iffy, it could be causing a hard cut which would stall the engine.

Have you taken any notice of the slip setting on the rltc when it cuts out? Try turning it up to 20 - 25% and see if it still does it. I'm about all next weekend if you want to come over and we'll run some diagnostics on the rltc.