The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2JZ-GTE 600hp Rotrex C38 centrifugal supercharger

Wez

Hey All,

Interesting thread on the lexus forums regarding a supercharged 2JZ-GTE.

These superchargers are similar to a turbo but where as the turbo is driven from the exhaust gases this is off the crank.

With a turbo the load the engine under varies how they spool, eg, hardly any boost in 1st and 2nd but loads in 4th.

With this setup being belt driven, if you produced .5bar at 3000rpm it would be the same for every gear as the crank speed determines the turbo speed.

Thought it might be of interest as I dont know of any 2JZ-GTE setup like this.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=39235

Another benefit is less heat transfer.

Discuss :cool:

I saw the Rotrex guys at the Autosport show. Nice compact units wih a low parasitic loss (about 10% of brake power, I was told).

I'm not sure for twin charging whether it would be better to have a small supercharger to get you off the line and then a big turbo that kicks in later or a tiny small turbo that spins up fast and then a big supercharger.

I think I'd go for the former, since there is less power overhead in driving a big turbo than a big supercharger.

There was the Nissan Micra Super Turbo (or Nissan March in Japan?) - only put out 100bhp or so though I think.

HKS did a twincharger kit for the MK1 MR2 Supercharger as well, should give 300bhp+ - every once in a while someone finds one in a dusty box and the bidding frenzy begins.... it's a 4AG kit so suits the AE86 type stuff too.

http://www.mr2supercharger.com/FeaturedTwinchargers.html