The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ICV stuck? Car won't idle.

samdale

Car has been sat for a couple of weeks. Battery has been flat and removed/recharged.

Car now won't hold idle at all. Could it be that the valve is stuck closed and needs a clean? This certainly looks to be my first port of call. What else to look at? I've taken the car out and got up to temp and still dies as soon as clutch is pressed. Car is vvti TT6.

Thanks,

Sam.

The VVTi doesn't have an idle control valve. I have vvt-i tt6 as well. and from time to time i have problems with my throttle, but different. car fire up nicely and idle well and go to the red line when you rev it, but once it is on gear and I'm trying to drive there is no response from gas pedal, nothing at all, engine is just idling and finally cutting out . Then I need to do "master reset" the throttle body and it seems be ok for a while. maybe try to reset your throttle ?

Edited by sebas (see edit history)

this is how to reset throttle body:

Turn the key to the “ON” position but don’t turn over the car, put your foot completely down on the throttle “Gas” pedal for 30 seconds, you should hear a beeping/humming sound while the ETCS-i system resets, turn the ignition to “Off”. Now turn the car back over and re-test to see if you have any symptoms.

info from 2jzgarage.com

Dies *AS SOON AS THE CLUTCH IS PRESSED*????? Pleaase elaborate, pressing the clutch should take some drag OFF the engine, not add more...

Ahh sorry. Clutch pedal depressed, (anywhere in the rev range) revs drop exactly as they should but keep travelling down to zero.

Throttle and in gear driving seems unaffected.

That does sound like the idle control valve is stuck closed or almost closed. It could be physically gummed up, it could be electrically faulty, or for various reasons not receiving signals from the ECU.DO NOT be tempted to fiddle with the idle adjustment stop screws on the throttle body, nor be tempted to move the throttle position sensor. You will quickly dig a big hole for yourself and those who might have to assist in fixing what's probably a totally different issue.

UPDATE: Tried the reset trick above posted by "sebas".

All is well again, if anything, the car idles better than before! :thumbs:

Is there some kind of volatile memory or some such for this system? Seems strange that it "forgot" how to idle with the battery removed for a time. Not like it drifted and needed a re-cal, just went from all good to nothing yet the battery has been disconnected before without issue.

I'm assuming it's one of these I'd need.

There's a whole vvti throttle body for sale atm but thinking £200 is a bit steep to just be keeping a spare in the shed.

Maybe I'll eat my words in a few years time when my car won't idle and parts aren't available but hey.