The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Upgrading the Twin setup? Ideas?

AMG

I am looking into upgrading my standard twin setup. I know i can get big power from a BIG single but want to stick with the twins.

What i am after is some options that i can go for. All i know at the moment is that i could have hybrids or more expensive HKS's. Anybody fancy putting some known options down with maybe how much work, power and cost down here? It may be good for a future reference thread for twins. It might help the newcomers a bit too. :eyebrows:

Hybrid

Pros - No insurace knock on effect. Can produce upto 500hp at the crank if you are careful. You keep the sequential system. Can still use just a good condition SMIC such as CW's.

Cons - You are pushing things - these turbo's are tiny and asking them to push out so much power is going to ramp up temeratures. You need to upgrade the fuel system, so they arn't just plug and play (well unless you like detonating your engine)

HKS TWINS -

Pros - Huge power potential 600+. Bragging rights. No temperature issue's with the replacement manifold or the turbo housings unlike the hybrids. External Wastegate scream!

Cons - Old school now. You lose the sequential system, they work together all the time, expect full boost later than Hybrids. Insurance hit. Initial Cost (£5k++). Fuel System overhaul required. Uprated clutch required. Proper Large FMIC required. Basically you'll need masses of extra work - big bills! Expect the project to cost no less than 10k and more like 15k and that's the budget approach!

Budget Single (ala BL Budget 61)

Pros - Turbo kit only £400 more than the cheapest Hybrids. Bragging rights over hybrids ;) . Only requires a budget 2Row FMIC. Can use drop in 650cc injectors. Will out spool the Hybrids (ie be at full boost before T2 comes online). Will out spool the Twins. Will deliver 450+ RWHP (more than enough!). External Wastegate scream!

Cons - Insurance hit sometimes. No sequential (but believe me you won't notice). Will require mapping, fueling upgrade and probably a cltuch but not instantly.

My advice is bag a ride in one of each type.

Depends what you mean by big single, many many different sizes available. My Powerhouse stage 1 used to kick in around 3700rpm so very very useable power, the stage 2+ turbo I have kicks in at 4200rpm, again very useable power, makes a for a really nice road car. And the grin will never be removed from your face!

You'll have less grunt at low revs but if for example you went for the BL T61 then you'd be at full boost before and with a hell of a bigger kick than when the second turbo comes on-line with stock turbo's. I think a T61 or T67 make ideal usable turbos on the road... Now I just need the money for one. :D

This is all good stuff, are there many people on here that would stick with twins? If so why do they choose to? Can you get such big power from twins.

Oh yeah did i see at some point an american TRIPLE turbo at some point. Was that just a gimic thing as i cant see that being very usable.