The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2JZ-GTE Coolant Flow Path

np89

Does anyone know or even better, have a diagram of the coolant flow path of the 2JZGTE to show all the pipes, feeds, direction of flow etc of the engine? Recently had an issue with coolant flow that I have now sorted, but the solution that sorted it doesn't make sense or agree as such with my knowledge of the direction of flow!

Thanks

Niall

Well the issue was that the rad wasnt flowing coolant past about the first inch or two and was staying cold and the water temps were getting ridiculous both idling and on boost. The car is a UK Spec single turbo that was previously GT35R water and oil cooled. I repalced the gt35r with a BL S366HF and BC264 cams and thats when the temperature issues started. Seeing up to 125degrees on boost. Thought the cams weren't dialled in correctly so did that, and there was significant adjustment there. However the temps were still reaching 108 degrees at only 1.3 bar. Bled the life out of the system again and again. New water pump new stat. The works. Finally last night i managed to solve the problem and restore the coolant flow to the system. Reconnected the turbo water feed on the pump housing to the water feed at the back of the block and hey presto the radiator got flow back in it and heated up the whole way across, maintained a constant 90 degree temperature. The two water returns on the water neck had been welded up by the previous owner for some reason and they had been using the two feeds to supply water to the previous single turbo that was on there. However i know these are both feeds and not a feed and a return so although it has, it should not have fixed the problem and im a bit stumped Allbeit happy its sorted.

Just to update for anyone who follows with a similar issue. As i thought i had solved the issue in the last post, it only solved it temporarily. More testing revealed that infact the BRAND NEW Toyota 82degree thermostat was not opening due to the altered waterflow from a non watercooled turbo and much larger aftermarket rad. The solution was a thermostat with a lower opening temp. Currently using a TRD 72degree stat though i am considering using a mishimoto 62degree one.