The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Plug at the bottom of the rad.???

SupraJames

Just a quick question, could someone please tell me what the plug at the bottom of the rad is ? looks like some sort of temp controlled fan switch, but surely with the viscous fan it does not need a switch. Or is this the cars main water temp sensor.?? Just asking as have bought an ali rad and would like to use the hole in the new rad for a fan switch for twin electric fan set-up.

Thanks

James

On mine there is a small electric fan in the cowl as well as the viscous fan. Do you have this too? If so it could be the switch for this, but I dont know what the small fan is for, thinking it must be a back up fan if the viscous coupling fails or the main fan starts to struggle in extreme condition, but could be wrong.

On mine there is a small electric fan in the cowl as well as the viscous fan. Do you have this too? If so it could be the switch for this, but I dont know what the small fan is for, thinking it must be a back up fan if the viscous coupling fails or the main fan starts to struggle in extreme condition, but could be wrong.

:yeahthat:

Yes I have the small fan as well, was thinking it could be a switch for this, no idea what this fan does as dont think I have ever seen it working, would go with the twin electric set-up anyway. Not sure that tiny fan would be any good should the viscous fail, and if the viscous fails then think would have bigger issues than over heating it being connected to the engine and all lol. Know there is a fan relay just under the near side headlight so I think you could be right and that its a switch for the little fan :)

Yes I have the small fan as well, was thinking it could be a switch for this, no idea what this fan does as dont think I have ever seen it working, would go with the twin electric set-up anyway. Not sure that tiny fan would be any good should the viscous fail, and if the viscous fails then think would have bigger issues than over heating it being connected to the engine and all lol. Know there is a fan relay just under the near side headlight so I think you could be right and that its a switch for the little fan :)

When the viscous coupling fails, it doesnt normally fall apart, it just means the fan thermal clutch in the coupling doesnt engage and the fan doesnt spin correctly.

Apparently is a fan switch http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?180058-fan-switch-thread-size also guess from the thread 93-102 is the switch temp..?

Thats useful info, surprised at the temperature spread though. What is the correct 'normal' temperature of a TT?

Viscous fans don't do much when you switch the engine off... ;)

Yes I agree, but I have never heard the electric one run when the ignition is off suggesting that the feed is switched. I have been looking at these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VARIABLE-THERMOSTAT-RADIATOR-FAN-TEMPERATURE-CONTROLLER-/300683472417?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item460221ae21#ht_1829wt_932thinking that this could be the primary sensor fed from a un-switched feed switching either one electric fan on at full speed or maybe both at reduced speed and then using the oem sensor in the bottom of the rad to either switch the second fan in or control a relay to bring both fans in on full.