The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Problem with VVTi Throttle Body

EMPEROR

So my DBW is not working. Tried 2 different Throttle Bodies and 2 different ECUs and still the same problem. No 12V on the throttle valve motor. I get 0.75V instead. The wires are directly going from the throttle valve motor to the ECU. Checked the wires and they are OK. The car is 98 SZR with VVTi TT engine swap. If anyone has any idea, I would really appreciate it, as I'm out of ideas already...

Hahaha I knew it would be something silly :D Thanks to Jody T, I found out I should power up the Blue-Red (ECTS supply) wire on the Upper Fusebox Connector. It makes sense, since the traction uses the throttle valve, so it seems you have to power the traction module, to power the throttle motor. The funny part is that I have redone the whole fusebox so it will be the same as TT one, just didn't put a fuse for the traction (but have made a fuse bed for it :D ), as I have read somewhere that if you take the traction fuse out, it will act the same as in snow mode... Seems it's not true at all... So thank you Jody! And thank you Scott and Neil for pointing Jody out :D Have a happy new year all! :friday:

Edited by EMPEROR (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

O.M.G. ... I am so damn stupid... in the end, the problem was wrong TPS!!! When I purchased the new one, I just opened toyodiy, selected Japan, 98, Supra, RZ... then wrote throttle position and opened the first link (which actually is the TPS for NA!!!!!!) and there is another throttle position sensor for EFI (which apparently is the TT)... The pinout is totally different, so is the inside of the sensor... And I fought with this problems for months... checking, double checking, triple checking all the wirings, ECUs, Throttle Bodies, etc etc etc.....................

So next when you take a new TPS (the correct one) is to take voltmeter and connect to VTA1 (pin 2) and GND (Battery negative for instance). Turn the ignition key to ON position, without igniting. You should rotate the TPS till you get 0.65-0.75V on cold engine (0.6-0.7V on warm engine) to calibrate it. Then off the key, then to ON position again without igniting, pressing the acceleration pedal for 30-60 seconds for the ECU to adapt to the new TPS. Then off the key and the ignite...

I feel almost a VVTi guru already :p And insanely stupid at the same time :D