The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Import 1996 RZ-S, Low Mileage, Red, Auto, BPU.

Martin J

Not sure I really want to go through with this yet but I thought I'd see how it goes...

I'll have had this car for 2 years this November, I collected her from JM Imports in 2009. Prior to that she was owned by Andrew (SupraAyf) on here, who as you'll be able to tell from searching through his old posts was pretty obsessive about keeping the car in absolute tip-top shape. She was only part-exchanged/sold via Jurgen as Andrew made way in his garage for his new toy, and I'm sure you've all seen that :)

Anyway, the care given to this car was a big part of what attracted me. I didn't want to enter Supra ownership with a high mileage car that had been raced etc, and at the time there wasn't a lot about that I could feel happy spending my money on. I found this car on this very forum and although I wasn't really looking at auto's having never driven one for any length of time, I was won over by the condition of the car and from talking to both Andrew and Jurgen about it. I'd been out in a friends 6-speed and although I do enjoy the manual feeling of driving, the auto box has been brilliant and I've never regretted the choice. One short flight up to Newcastle later and I was taking the long (but extremely fun!) trip back to Wales with my new car and in the process, getting caught in a brief rain shower which meant the car was feeling her first spots of UK rain since coming over here in 2003 - I told you Andrew was obsessive earlier, right?! ;).

I'm the third UK owner (well, second really but she was of course registered with JM-Imports for a short while) and the car is now showing just over 52,000 on the mileometer. This is a mixture of original Japanese KM and UK miles, and from a rough conversion (looking at the old MOT certificates), I'd estimate the actual mileage to be somewhere in the region of 48,000. I've done just over 4,000 miles since I've owned the car, which isn't a great deal I know - and with this we arrive at one of the reasons for me advertising it today - I find myself just not using it enough, I'm too afraid to park and leave her anywhere! Silly I know, but there we have it - I think somebody else would probably get a great deal more enjoyment out of this car rather than just my occasional 30 mile work commute (perhaps just once weekly in this car!) and weekend fun drive. Also, we're hopefully moving house soon and the extra money would come in handy I suppose, although I'd need a new car at some point.

I have always washed the car regularly, with advice from Stonkin on the better choices for polish, wax, sealants and the finer points of detailing. She is never (intentionally) driven in the rain, and not in Winter either. Unfortunately I can't say she lives in a lovely warm garage but she is parked on my driveway down the side of the house, sheltered from the harsher elements at least. She's only ever run on Shell V-Power or Tesco Momentum 99 RON, and the servicing requirements are taken care of by myself with assistance from my father-in-law, who is an ex-Toyota vehicle technician of some 20 years and very at home on the Supra :)

A bit about the car

Exterior:

1. Top Secret III Facelift Bumper (Fully Meshed).

2. OEM side skirts.

3. TRD rear spoiler.

4. Trial Rear.

5. AVS Series-7 Original Race Alloys in Gold (18's)

6. UK Brakes (front) with Apexi Coilovers and Goodridge hoses.

7. HKS exhaust (which Nic tells me is a Hi-Power model).

8. Original Hybrid 800HP Monster-size FMIC with polished pipes.

Under the bonnet:

1. Polished Apexi elbow.

2. Chromed Toyota Induction Pipe.

3. Chromed Turbo Pipework (all 5).

4. Polished Turbo 'top' pipework.

5. Polished and re-located HKS SSQV.

6. Chromed and re-located header tank.

7. Chromed Turbo Shield.

8. Polished SS Heat Shield.

9. Polished GReddy Rad Pipe

10. Polished Valve covers.

11. Polished Inlet Manifold.

12. Polished attachments for manifold.

13. Polished TB.

14. Polished Power Steering Tank.

15. Polsihed Chrome-Ali IC Piping (both).

16. Polished Rad clamps.

17. Polished Battery Clamp.

18. Gold-plated battery terminals.

19. Polished Inlet Manifold Pressure Pipe.

20. Chromed Toyota Breather Tank

21. Polsihed water cooling pipes that supply turbos.

22. GReddy Oil Cap.

23. GReddy 1.3 bar+ Rad cap.

24. Chrome finished Blitz DSBC Solenoid cover.

25. Polished Idle Control mount.

Other 'visible' things in the engine bay:

26. Miami-GT Blue Hose Kit.

27. GReddy Sandwich plate.

28. Blitz DSBC-R Solenoid.

29. Apexi filter (Was brand new when I collected the car in 2009, still looks brand new!).

Inside the car:

1. Blitz Chrome 60mm Oil Temp Gauge.

2. Blitz Chrome 52mm Oil Pressure Gauge.

3. Blitz Chrome 52mm Vacuum Gauge.

4. Blitz DSBC-R (boost gauge).

5. Blitz FATT (Fully Automatic Turbo Timer)

6. Pioneer Double DIN stereo with CD, MD and 12 disc changer (located in the boot).

7. WRX 3-gauge pod (houses the 3x Blitz gauges).

8. HKS Fuel-Cut Defender.

The car is also fully BPU and I find her more than fast enough. The auto box is excellent, gear changes are smooth and it's an absolute pleasure to drive around in. MOT is up in August 2012 (just had one, no problems as usual) and the tax is due in March 2012. I have a Cat should it be required for MOT, but I haven't needed it. The car is also fully alarmed/immobilised and has 2 key fobs.

There aren't many bad points, but:

1. There are a couple of very small stone chips on the front bumper which could easily be rectified (and if I keep the car, I'll get these done anyway).

2. I scuffed a wheel - today, annoyingly. There's a picture of it in the album link below. Needless to say I was very unhappy :(

3. The polished radiator and battery clamps have rusted a bit, probably just due to the moisture in the atmosphere now the car lives outdoors. Easily replaced though.

This isn't really a bad point I suppose, but the stereo and ICE are Japanese (yes, the menu system too!). I've never gotten around to replacing anything apart from the 2 rear speakers, which are now a Pioneer set.

I was hoping for around £7500, but not really sure what the market is like at the moment. I'm not really interested in offers much below that area, or any part-exchanges thanks - I'd rather keep the car as I'm not having to sell for any reason other than those described above.

To finish, here's some pictures of the car: http://s872.photobucket.com/albums/ab285/mkivsup/Supra/

Any questions, please ask! :)

Guys, what can I say. This is a lovely motor and from 2003 to late 2009 it never saw one drop of rain. Not one. There was a chance of a rain cloud hitting it back in 2006 (February I think it was) but I avoided that by a few minutes. I worked it out that I changed the oil on average every 350-miles so when Martin took it via Jurgen then the oil looked as clear as water. I have only seen one other red Supra with the Gold AVS-7's but that car was in a poor league compared to this little gem. I chose the car after many months of searching because of its low mileage, and, as mentioned above; the mileage combo is part miles and part Km's so the car is roughly in the mid 40,000 mile range. This is going to make someone a very happy Supra owner indeed.

Stunning example. If I was in the market for a TT, then I think we would have a winner here. Unfortunately, bad timing as I've recently acquired a new house so will be a while before I think about upgrading.

GLWTS, As mentioned this shouldn't hang around for long. Hopefully it will go to a good home. Nothing worse then a fine cared for example being at the hands of someone who desn't appreciate the time and effort gone into the upkeep

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.