The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Painting an intercooler

Scott

Now before you all jump on the "efficiency" bandwagon (a bandwagon that I was a proud part of :D) have a little read and a think about my reasoning here.

Will giving the end tanks, top and bottom plates a coat and a quick spray over the front of the intercooler make an impact on its cooling efficiency? I'm thinking that it won't make that much of a difference as the cooling as actually done in the centre of the intercooler rather than the front face. Spraying the intercooler (not going nuts of course) only the very tips of the fins will have any paint on them. The other 3.9" will be bare aluminium in order to provide that air to air cooling we all know and love.

Also, looking at my intercooler it has a fair bit of oxidisation on it. Surely that would be far more of an insulator than me giving it a little rub and putting a few thou of paint on will?

Looking for constructive input before I go for it :)

Is there any other process other than painting available, not powdercoating but a kind of anodising perhaps?

With an obvious tip of the cap to the cost of such a process of course.

I doubt a coat of paint as per your description would make much difference to the efficiency of an intercooler but would you be considering a coat of lacquer on top of that as well to keep it neat for as long as possible especially if the colour being considered is black?

Is there any other process other than painting available, not powdercoating but a kind of anodising perhaps?

With an obvious tip of the cap to the cost of such a process of course.

I doubt a coat of paint as per your description would make much difference to the efficiency of an intercooler but would you be considering a coat of lacquer on top of that as well to keep it neat for as long as possible especially if the colour being considered is black?

To be honest I'm not really fussed about the neatness as it's going to be hidden anyway. I just don't like the tatty look of an intercooler 10 miles after buying it (bugs, dings, dents etc). I was just thinking that if I give it a quick coat of black any of those normal marks will remain hidden. The reason for painting the top/bottom plates etc was just for completeness lol.

I wouldn't go with powdercoating as that is far too thick for what I am after. With regards to anodising I'm not sure how well that process would take to an X year old intercooler with a fair amount of oxidising. I'm having a really hard time as it is with the intercooler pipes at the moment :D

Cheers

I wouldn't have thought paint would make a difference, that rad paint must just be high temp paint to avoid flaking. The new heater matrix I put in my supra was painted black, my rad in my civic is black, I am sure I have seen pictures of SMICs that are black on here and they are new ones.

I wouldn't have thought paint would make a difference, that rad paint must just be high temp paint to avoid flaking. The new heater matrix I put in my supra was painted black, my rad in my civic is black, I am sure I have seen pictures of SMICs that are black on here and they are new ones.

It's not the colour that makes a difference though, in fact black is better for dispersing heat. Its the thickness of the coating acting as an insulator that would be an issue. An anodised rad will be fine, especially black. The matrix is designed to store heat afaik. With the intercooler it shouldn't be an issue because it's only the tips being coated.

The frost stuff probably has a high metal content, it will certainly have very good conductive properties whatever it is :)

That looks good scott. Black is the new bling maybe?

Cheers mate. Been doing it for years :D

bumping this as going to do mine on the weekend think,

i want to go over mine in silver, to freshen it up,

and then also want to put a GReddy logo on,

scott, you said normal paint is what you used, so can anyone else confirm this?

dont need heat resistant paint do you? (not sure how hot the IC gets?)