The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Two Qs - seatbelt clicks (?!) and temp gauge

Aerotop Dave

At the risk of more ridicule after discovering the 'fan off' button this weekend I thought I'd post quietly in the technical area instead :)

My seatbelts go 'click/thwack' when I turn the engine off. Are Supras fitted with pretensioners or something?

Also, my temp gauge starts moving almost as soon as I start up and it's up to it's usual mid-range position about a mile down the road. Is that normal?

Originally posted by 200SX Boy

Something makes a noise on each side of the car just behind the seats when I turn the ignition off.

After the fan thing it would be funny if this mystery sound turned out to be your rear speakers making a noise when the power to them gets turned off!

:D

[/WildGuessMode]

I too get the click from the seat belt. I think it has a solenoid that holds the belt. It seems to happen if the belt is undone before the engine is turned off. I dont know if it is pretensioners, an old renault I had was equiped with exlosive pretensioners. There suposed to take up any slack in the belt, when you hit something.

P.s. sorry about the off button.:innocent:

Edit: just looked on at the books and there is a tension reducer solenoid, that is turned off and on by a switch in the buckle holder, with it's power supply switched by ignition.

All you've got to do is switch off the ignition after a drive with the seatbelts still on, then you'll find out what's causing the click :)

As for the temp gauge that's heating up way too quickly, it shouldn't reach normal temperature for about 4-5 minutes of tootling.

-Ian