The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil Leak

Guest yoshi_v300

Guest yoshi_v300

I'm going to buy an Aristo 2JZ-GTE MK iv VVTi.

RAC have checked it and it has an oil leak from the rear of the engine.

I am trying to ascertain if this is the big seal or just a gasket seal.

The leak description :

'oil smeared around the area, some slight drips after test drive'.

Ideas and costs involves?

Ideas and costs involves?

depends on how well they looked at the area IMO. If the engine undertray is on the car then a weeping front crank seal for example will eventually cause the oil to drip from the rear of the engine.

If the engine is actually leaking oil from somewhere at the rear then two usual causes are rear of the cam covers (cheap fix), or rear main oil seal (more expensive).

I'd want a good look round it underneath and i'd like to 100% trace the leak before deciding whether to buy it........

Guest yoshi_v300

I note the RAC guy was very specific - the front of the engine is not leaking.

The rear of the engine is leaking a little bit of oil.

I am going to assume :

- cam covers (had this done on my previous car, minor)

- rear main oil seal (5 hours labour, transmission out I'm told)

Is there anything else I am missing it could be?

Not really mate. Seems you have both potential leaks noted. Lets hope its the first one! You should be able to see quite easily yourself if its the cam cover though as it will run down the back of the block. Rear crank seal leak normally runs out the drain hole where the block meets the g/box bellhousing.

I note the RAC guy was very specific - the front of the engine is not leaking.

The rear of the engine is leaking a little bit of oil.

I am going to assume :

- cam covers (had this done on my previous car, minor)

- rear main oil seal (5 hours labour, transmission out I'm told)

Is there anything else I am missing it could be?

Yes, worst case scenario is badly worn flange on crank, which may not stop leaking even if you replace the rear oil seal. I have such a crank here. If they were rare you could grind the flange and fit a repair sleeve, but it's a crank out job and would cost far more than a good used crank. Unlikely to be the problem, but something to be aware of, especially if it's high mileage (and most Aristos will be, whatever the odometer says....).

Guest yoshi_v300

This Aristo is 86000 miles (owners had it since 10,000 miles) and is 280hp stock, no air filter/exhaust or anything. Totally standard.

So I hope it isn't the flange on the crank, but it can easily be the rear main crank seal as the car is 10 years old.

I will just have to buy the car anyways (minus repair cost) as I prob.won't be able to tell exactly which seal is toast without the aid of my mechanic and his garage.

Guest yoshi_v300

The oil is leaking onto the subframe under the car. But very slightly. I am presuming the rear main crank seal.

Is there anywhere I can get a schematic of how it comes apart etc?