The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RLTC Quick question

albundy68

ok got RLTC installed yesterday by martin, (thanx mate!)

problem is im pretty shure its forgotten its settings so isnt working, it worked fine after fitting on the way home, but ive had the std traction and snow mode kickin in thismornin,

the question, whats the easyest way to tell if its working???

i was thinkin a wide space, switch to wet and attempt to doughnut?

am i along the right lines???

(i realise poping to martins and getting him to check on his lap top would be easyest, but cant do that tonight)

anyone???

no, doughnutting probably won't work as RLTC is setup so that it *knows* when you're on full-lock so that in tight manouevering it doesn't cut the engine.

Simply put it on lowest setting (0% slip = wet) and then give it a reasonable bootful going round a roundabout when there's NO OTHER CARS around ideally. just increase speed going round and round and you should feel it cut in pretty quick.

Originally posted by albundy68

ok got RLTC installed yesterday by martin, (thanx mate!)

problem is im pretty shure its forgotten its settings so isnt working, it worked fine after fitting on the way home, but ive had the std traction and snow mode kickin in thismornin,

You need to disable the stock traction control now you've got RLTC. Just take the fuse out, and you probably want to take the warning bulb out from the dash as well to avoid having an annoying flashing warning light the whole time. Saves you having to switch it off every time you start the car.

It depend what setting you have on the selector. Anything more than 10% and stock TC, may kick in if the slip it high enough. Did Martin change the data file. I suspect he did.

If you turn off stock TC, set it to wet and find a damp surface a do a very quick take off, once you get over you should not be able to feel it cut in. The Rl book recommends sticking on rear on grass with the other on the road and giving it a bit of throttle the wheel the grass should try to spin and RL should offer dramatic cut.

Don’t run both systems together.

The RL unit is not known to loose its internal settings.

Guest Martin F

Yep i did upload the correct DAT file.

Strangely enough on the way home this evening Al reported that the RLTC was working again as it should. I'm pretty confident in my install (obviously) so i'm hoping he hasn't got an intermittant RLTC unit.

As far as i was aware i thought that the RLTC should kick in way before the stock system so hence no need to disable it in theory. Is this not the case in practice? (please don't speculate!)

certainly on the pre 96 cars the RLTC is quicker than the stock so the stock almost never cuts in.

This is obviously a facelift that it was fitted to so I cannot say for certain. Also worth pointing out that the stock system on my UK is way more sensitive than any other mkiv I have driven, it was even put in for a service by the previous owner and they asked for it to be checked as it was so sensitive.

JB

yup she was workin ok last night, could feel it cutting in pretty obviously, but it was much dryer last night,

however, i was still getting the std TC kicking in occasionally this morn, so turned RLTC off, there seemed to be less traction there, then turned her back on again, n there didnt seem to be any difference still v little traction, oh im confused,

ill try doing some cornering with the std TC off and RLTC on 'wet' at dinner time, i just bloody hope i dont crash! lol

Can you change the RLTC say from wet to 10% anytime? or do you have to turn the engine off or anything? as its when i start to fiddle with it that i seem to get the problems, - not that i make a habbit of fiddling with my nob!

:blink:

You can change settings any time as you drive, it's essential that you do so! i.e. it starts to rain, knock it up to WET.

The control knob only selects a voltage between 0->5V anyway.

So you could put in a variable resistor or slider pot and choose an infinite number of settings if the 4 you've got weren't enough.

Pete

Originally posted by albundy68

yup she was workin ok last night, could feel it cutting in pretty obviously, but it was much dryer last night,

however, i was still getting the std TC kicking in occasionally this morn, so turned RLTC off, there seemed to be less traction there, then turned her back on again, n there didnt seem to be any difference still v little traction, oh im confused,

ill try doing some cornering with the std TC off and RLTC on 'wet' at dinner time, i just bloody hope i dont crash! lol

Can you change the RLTC say from wet to 10% anytime? or do you have to turn the engine off or anything? as its when i start to fiddle with it that i seem to get the problems, - not that i make a habbit of fiddling with my nob!

:blink:

Just pull out the TRAC fuse in the black-covered fuse-box near the battery and that will disaable the stock system, so then you know you've only got RLTC.

RLTC is far more subtle and progressive than any stock system. Due to its progressive nature it will prevent slip before it is perceptible on low settings. If you hook it up to a lap top with it set to wet you can see the system cutting injectors, but not really feel anything in the car ie no wheel spin and now real loss of power. On higher settings as the slip level before activation is higher you become more aware of rear slip.

Remember it only helps control rotational slip it does not control lateral slip. Except in a perfect straight line all slip has a lateral and rotational component. By reducing the rotational slip component you effectively increase the amount of lateral traction available so you can hold corners under acceleration better.

No system can exceed the level of grip available between road and tire. Watch the RL demo vids of a BMW getting increasing drift using increased slip threshold % levels.

Turn off the stock system you don't need it.

Originally posted by Doughie

Just pull out the TRAC fuse in the black-covered fuse-box near the battery and that will disaable the stock system, so then you know you've only got RLTC.

remember on an auto this effects more than just traction control, you will also get more flashing lights on the dash due to the overdrive light flashing up. Does it also not disable manual mode on the autos?

JB

OUCH!!!:(

just been out round a few roundabouts with the std TC dissabled, its a little wet here n i was trying to loose the back end, i totally suceeded, she came out a beut! n the force of correcting her sent my head into the side of the car good n fast! now i have a head ache! its the last time i listen to you guys! lol, just kiddin,

my conclusion though is that the RLTC deffo isnt working as it should, it wouldnt let me loose my back end no matter how hard i tried if it was working would it? (it was set to wet).

(oh n the roundabout was empty n i had a good lane and a half of room to correct so the chances of doing any halm to the supe or anyone apart from my poor head were minimal so dont worry!!!)

Im gonna get martin to hook his lap top up to it tomorrow night and see whats going on, we were having a few problems with the link up when we did the settings so it could be related to that.

oh n i hope no one readin this would be put off of martins installs, i watched him at work for the last 5 hour or so of the install and i was more than happy, im totally confident that any problems are down to a glitch, a facelift thing, me just being paranoid/pushing the RLTC too far, or the actual unit, im positive martins install was top notch!!!

went to see martin last night, we had a good ol play in the rain, and everything seems to be working hunkey dorey now, - infact its pretty likely that it was working all along i was just being paranoid. doh!

so next step is gettin sum wheels with an offset big enough to fit some UK breaks behind, then ill be able to stop and turn as well as go!!! Anyone know of anyone that has a set they want rid of by any chance???

Otherwise, end of thread i suppose...

(i like happy endings! :thumbs:)