The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just rebuilt my Getrag and it wont select HELPPP!

StuartW

The gearbox is fully rebuilt by me after replacing all 2nd gear components (The synchro had gone)

I Must be doing something wrong :search:

I am mocking the box on the bench and i just cannot select any gears, it tries but will not engage anything!

I have pulled the casings apart now 3 times but cannot see what i have done wrong!

Does it need to have the engine or output shaft rotating initially to align all the synchro's?

Does it need oil to help the synchro's slide??

Maybe i could spin the shaft in my lathe to simulate engine movement before i go through the arduos task of fitting it all up and then finding it doesn't select!?/?

Anyone had a simirlar experience??

Thanks

Not sure if you have the info in these links but i went searching and found the following which even if no help to may make a good addtion to our tech archive (if its not already there!)

http://t24ever.com/docs/fsm/toyota%20v160%20transmission%20repair%20manual%20RM351E.pdf

found here.............

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/112550-getrag-rebuild.html

Thank fook!

Thanks for all your replies, I had not seen the Skyline rebuild forums and did not know the GTR ran a Getrag!..Very interesting. It allowed me to double check all the selectors etc for correct orientation. They where all correct.

I found with the Rear casing and all the detents removed i could select all the gears no problems. So fitted the casings without all the detents. It selected all gears on the bench no worries!

So then added all the detents one by one checking for complete operation at each stage. It was all OK.

SOOO relieved. the only thing i can think is on assembly for the prior 3 times the main shift slider must have been slightly mis-aligned on the synchros thus jamming up. Either way it selects perfectly now :D:D

Has anyone got dog gears in theirs on the forum? Anyone driven in one that has?

I am guessing you mean the PPG gear set, I would be interested to know as well.

For roughly the same price or less I think CW could do a better setup with a sequential box.

I am guessing you mean the PPG gear set, I would be interested to know as well.

For roughly the same price or less I think CW could do a better setup with a sequential box.

Yup, that's the one. Couldn't remember the name. Sounds awesome and the changes are rock solid once you get used to it (from what I can gather from youtube). No clutch upshifts I think...

Apologies for the thread hijack....

But TOTALLY unsuitable for road usage. PPG gear kits are no longer very cheap, given the exchange rate and import tax. They also make the gearbox have a very limited re sale market. If you really need a dog box, you'd be better off spending more for a proper race transmission and enjoying the wide resale market and excellent residuals. You are soon into £9K plus for a decent sequential RWD box though, that can genuinely be said to be designed to handle the right amount of torque.

But TOTALLY unsuitable for road usage. PPG gear kits are no longer very cheap, given the exchange rate and import tax. They also make the gearbox have a very limited re sale market. If you really need a dog box, you'd be better off spending more for a proper race transmission and enjoying the wide resale market and excellent residuals. You are soon into £9K plus for a decent sequential RWD box though, that can genuinely be said to be designed to handle the right amount of torque.

Cheers for the input Chris. Valuable as always. I was just curious as to whether anyone had one. I'm nowhere near that level yet as I think they belong on the track (where I'm not yet) :thumbs:

Guest Apostile

In cavalier/sunfire world this trans is living behind 11 second cars . Give Bill Hahn a call , their sunfire which runs 11's , uses a stock F23 . From all Ive been able to observe , it takes substantially more power reliably than its factory ratings . Of course an able clutch , proper mounts and good driving go a long way too .

05 Cobalt SS/SC ...r.i.p

94 Camaro Z28-changing again lol . LQ4 , L92's ...76gtsh and 2 forward gears

01 Cavalier DD ...dont be jeolous

Apostile