The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car weight

Ian C

I just got my car MOT'd at good old Mr Kindell's in Aylesbury (long termers may remember him) and he's forked out on a load of new gear for his garage. One thing was the latest and greatest in brake testing rollers, and this one measures the weight of the car - mmm. So I made sure I noted down the results:

Front 842kg

Rear 714kg

Driver was approx 12.5st which is 80kg, so lose him and the grand total is:

1476kg

Not bad considering most 'performance' cars these days weigh in at a Chris-Wilson-sob-inducing 1800+kgs :)

With said McAverage driver in place the weight balance is 54% front 46% rear.

Car had around 40 to 45l of fuel in it and obviously all the other fluids (except maybe a bit shy on gearbox oil ffs, something is leaking :complain: )

I have no idea how much difference it'd make being stock. Different weight items are the turbo system + manifold, the intercooler, maybe the front bumper, the exhaust system, the wheels, add a couple of strut braces, a raft of electronics in the footwell, and delete some emissions systems :D

Just thought I'd share that with you all.

-Ian

Thats really interesting, getting confirmation on the weight of a modded MKIV. I can see its a hard top but is it J-Spec or UK? Manual?

I'm guessing you have a bit of weight saving with the single as well as exhaust being the largest contributors, right?

So the 1490kg of a stock MKIV hardtop J-spec isn't all wrong? Based on your numbers, that stock weight is probably with ½ a tank of gas or so?

Worst thing is the weight distribution. That would probably have been better if the car was build today, but hey... just add some bags of sand ind the truck, right ;)

Edited by bodilx6 (see edit history)

Hard top J-spec facelift manual.

Syed, he's doing great mate :) two kids, stopped smoking over a year ago, took up mountain biking again to lose the non-smoker weight gain! Only trouble is he sold the Soop years ago and got a BMW M3 the tosser :D

-Ian

• 1 year later...

Strangely I saw Mark only yesterday, as I forgot to MOT the Supra until then, oops. Only did 2300 miles in it since writing this thread, and 300 of those is the round trip to get it MOT'd!

Anyway, I haven't got the printout to hand as I'm at work, but it from memory all the numbers were near enough the same, I remember something like 1556kg on the weight readout and Mark was still the same size, so that's, er, well 1476 again haha

The car is fully featured, I've done no weight mods unless it's a side effect of doing something else. Although it was a criteria in buying the wheels for it a couple of years ago but that was more for handling purposes. So all the aircon, seats, spare wheel etc are there. No silly amps or subwoofers of course :)

Bodilix:

I used 52l of fuel doing 303 miles, which is 26mpg - the only time I ever get that is the daytime 70-80mph cruise to Marks, I thought the fuel gauge had stuck. Anyway, that's 26l to get there so 44l of fuel still in it (which is I think 44kg). So yours is 1540kg with 20l of fuel is 1520kg dry tank. If mine is 1432 dry tank no driver, that's quite a difference indeed - 88kg. Now, wheels can make quite a difference. My ones are Gram lights and weigh 10kg a corner. The old Speedlines were significantly heavier, probably 4kg+, so that's 16 to 20kg extra weight if your wheels are heavy ol' split rims. I'm doubtful a single turbo conversion can shave off the remaining 68kg though, I mean the stock bits on the hot side can be heavy but that's a crazy amount. Have you checked the rear seat for passengers? :D

Edited by Ian C
ballsed up an edit (see edit history)

hehe, no passengers.

The car in question is single? That can make a difference, but my guess would be maybe 20kg or so? My wheels are rather inexpesive no-spilts. Think seem to recall 19kg pr corner including tyres. Not sure though.

At measuring time I had the normal stuff in the back I always have. Spare wheel, some cloths and brushes for cleaning before/after a wash and a bit of stuff in glove compartments and a helmet. Might add up to 5kg of non-oem toyota stuff.

Its a 93 that might make a difference?

Suspension is a Chris Wilson, so that is probably pretty close to standard weight as well. No other mods that change any kind of weight (steering wheel changed to 98, sidelights, CW brake pads and so on)

Still a lot of difference. I got it weight at a station for weighing trucks with crops, which is only accurate to each 10kg but I'm guessing it shouldn't be much off or they would get ripped of when paying for the crops :)

- also, it measured my weight ok. A 94 EU spec car was 1580kg and a heavily modded MKIII (2jz swap) was 1620kg.

The danish supra club is going down there this weekend, so I will check again and maybe get some other readings from other cars.