The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speed Hump Boil Over

bens747

These bumbs are giving me the hump. I can't go more than 2 mph over these camels. Yet a bus weighing 5 times as much with as many people goes sailing over at 40 mph. Mean while the poor old lady with a near fatal heart attack is getting thrown from here to eternity..... where is the bloody sense in the Communist Goverment and their leader ........ Starlinist Blair.

Sorry ... having a moan day ........ :respekt:

We'll be having roads like the Hymalayers soon. Get people behind me getting the hump with me for gods sake. Don't get angry with me get angry with the camel worshippers, ie .... Stalinist Blair and his two Jag sidekick that can sail over these things. Anyway I hope he is watching this cos I'm going to dump 2 ton of tarmac outside his drive and see how he like it. Oh .... and I'll get Paddy McTarmac to fix it for me .......... :flame Dev

Tell me about it!

Where my house is I'm surrounded by those silly lumps of tarmac, normal cars fly over them at 50mph, trucks don't notice them, buses straddle them at warp speed and I crawl over them at 1mph and still hear a light scrape no matter what approach I take. What makes it worse is that people overtake me while I'm negotiating them or slam on and skid towards the back of my car because they aren't used to people slowing down.

I have 2 options, turn right and go over 3 of them in the wrong direction and then negotiate a mile of 'chicane' calming or turn left and get faced with 15+ but head in the right direction, I generally leave the Supra on the drive and take the Punto because it can go over them OK.

So they slow *me* down and nobody else yet I can hit 50+ in a 30 zone between each one if I so desire.

Had another overtaker while I negotiated the bumps tonight - silly really as I'd already demonstrated that despite going slow over the bumps I was giving it large between them, had the done a steady speed they wouldn't have been held up by me.

Anyway on speedbump 2 of the 3 I go over he pulls out to overtake me, this is in the middle of a housing estate about 50m from a roundabout, but I'm already in my accelerating stage so he's not getting past and starts flashing and blowing his horn. Some Barry Boy in a Polo GTi..... he's never been held up so much in his life as he did on the last speedbump, I couldn't have gone much slower just to annoy him.

I'm not the most patient person in the world, far from it infact, but if I see a low car slowing down for a speedbump I appreciate why and give them the time to go over them without being 1ft from their bumper..... I'd prefer it if the bumps were gone though!

Ah but the masses are revolting (and stop putting facts in the way of a good revolt)! :tongue: ;)

Yes they are revolting, I can smell them from here :D

I hate the damn things too, they're up and down my street stop nothing but decent cars going over them at speed, a total waste of money and cause more noise and damage than actually preventing accidents and slowing traffic imho.. but itsnt it local councils who we should be pointing fingers at?!

I live in a private rural estate - just recently we were granted permission by the council to get the access road tarmac'd. Which was good..... then one day 12 massive mounds of car pain (known as speedhumps) appeared as part of the construction process.... I took my lowered MR2 out to check for clearance and scraped my front bumper (and little mud flappy things) on nearly all of them - I was fuming and went and had a good argument with all involved, as did my old man. Next thing, all 12 got dug up.... RESULT! :thumbs:

I don't mind that there are 2 down my road, because there are a lot of kids that play in the area, it's only a little twisty cul de sac and there are a few knobbers who drive down there - I'm betting there'd have been an accident by now if they weren't there.

The ones where I work are reasonably smooth and low so they're not too much trouble either (still manage to piss off the manager BMs and Merc who arrive into my boot at 50mph though!!).

There are loads around havant (well leigh park really) that are shitters though, and loads of those crazy narrow ones where you have to decide whether to attempt one wheel over or both on the edges!!

They are everywhere where I live. I empathise with MCanny here. The most direct way in and out of where I live to work is riddled with speed humps, What makes one of them even worse is that its at the bottom of a very steep hill so crap cars with crap brakes almost always lock up in an effort to not hit the back of the supe when I have to slow down for it. Hence I now drive an extra 2 miles out of my way in order to avoid them (thats gotta be great for the environment that has).

As per what everyone else says it doesn't stop work vans and the likes in any way shape or form. My road gets used as a cut through to avoid the parrallel main road 200 metres away. They rocket down it despite it only being 1 car width with a blind crest of a hill. I regularly hear vans etc wheelspinning as they come off the 90 degree bend into my road go through 1st second and into 3rd through high revs which has to be at least 45 mph in most vehicles these days.

I am very strict with myself about speeding in urban areas (apart from them stupid 40 limit dual carriageways with absolutely no pedestrian or cylclist access) yet I am the big bad criminal that needs stamping on and this van driver is the salt of Britain Fooked right up that is cos I know who is most likely to kill somone other than themselves