The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strikes, boycots & go slows

superpaulwilson

You cannot protest these day, you have to notify the police first before you can protest and if they say OK then you can go ahead. If it is deemed unlawful or damaging to the country!! they can use the new terrorism laws to arrest you and hold you for 28 days. Just recently Chris Eubanks was arrested for an illegal protest outside Downing street, he was protesting against the war.

Makes you proud to be British. Freedom what Freedom!!

its ok living in the law - but lets be honest the law sucks ass for general every day things 0 its all screwed up in money and no justice for we who do abide it

Ok Billy Big Bollocks what exactly do you propose we do? No fuel on Tuesday, well woopee everybody buys on Monday. Fuel delivery strike- great, how are you going to get to work?

You seem like the sort of person that can't come up with their own ideas so gets all shirty saying that any idea is rubbish and why can't someone else come up with something and, if they can't, then it just makes you look (feel) better.

Better than actually doing anything isn't it?

The very least I've done is send some letters out. I'll be prepared to go on any protest drive, blockade, bowling night. I'll lend my support in whatever way I can.

Sadly, I lack the contacts to organize a national effort. For that I can only apologise. I must be a terrible disappointment to you.

You seem like the sort of person that can't come up with their own ideas so gets all shirty saying that any idea is rubbish and why can't someone else come up with something and, if they can't, then it just makes you look (feel) better.

Better than actually doing anything isn't it?

The very least I've done is send some letters out. I'll be prepared to go on any protest drive, blockade, bowling night. I'll lend my support in whatever way I can.

Sadly, I lack the contacts to organize a national effort. For that I can only apologise. I must be a terrible disappointment to you.

You do talk complete bollocks. If someone comes up with a good idea I'll fully support them and the idea, yet no-one actually has. I've had loads of emails sent to me with crackpot ideas of how to hurt the government but all these ideas fall down at the point that they are either wasting their own time or hurting themselves and in some amusing cases, both.

I'll happily admit I'm all out of ideas but I'm not going to make a sarky comment like "thinking is all we do".

Ironically most of your post is applicable to yourself.

You do talk complete bollocks. If someone comes up with a good idea I'll fully support them and the idea, yet no-one actually has. I've had loads of emails sent to me with crackpot ideas of how to hurt the government but all these ideas fall down at the point that they are either wasting their own time or hurting themselves and in some amusing cases, both.

I'll happily admit I'm all out of ideas but I'm not going to make a sarky comment like "thinking is all we do".

Ironically most of your post is applicable to yourself.

But RedM wasn't making a sarky comment, he was stating a fact, we as a nation sit here and tut while this government brings in more draconian powers to slowly chip away at our freedom. Rather than getting all uppity because a member made a sweeping generalisation and a fact, all we do do is think about it and send e-mails off to one another. There was a way to deal a blow to this government, a general election, but it would be likely that the bunch of shysters we have currently would have remained in power because "everyone was thinking about it" but didnt bother because someone else will do it

or hurting themselves

But RedM wasn't making a sarky comment, he was stating a fact, we as a nation sit here and tut while this government brings in more draconian powers to slowly chip away at our freedom. Rather than getting all uppity because a member made a sweeping generalisation and a fact, all we do do is think about it and send e-mails off to one another. There was a way to deal a blow to this government, a general election, but it would be likely that the bunch of shysters we have currently would have remained in power because "everyone was thinking about it" but didnt bother because someone else will do it

Exactly. The problem, apart from everyone thinking someone else in going to sort it, is that, as Gazboy wrote, people don't like hurting themselves. If you can get over that then you have a very big chance of beating the Govt.

Take the hauliers. If they were to basically close down for a week or two they would lose an enormous amount of money. The public would lose out because the shops would start to run short of food, drink and all our favourite consumer goods. It'd be bloody awful.....

BUT.....

if they (and, by extension, we) can make that short-term sacrifice and hold out until the Govt. come under so much pressure that they have to do something then we'll all make a long-term gain.

If, after all, that the govt. doesn't do anything then we know we have people in power who do not have our interests at heart and then we move onto other issues and if that means everyone single one of us marching on London and dragging them from power then maybe that's what we'll have to do.

So, yeah, we've got to be prepared for hard times if we want to even stand a chance of turning things our way.

I think what is needed is a symbolic gesture. a week of protesting would be a small sacrifice to pay but would let those in power know our grievances.

Hauliers to block the ports lorry depots blocked for major hubs and everyone else to stay home for the week :)

Although 1 million plus signatures on the downing street website were ignored and most people want a vote on the eu constitution yet they still ignore the people after all they know best.

Although 1 million plus signatures on the downing street website were ignored and most people want a vote on the eu constitution yet they still ignore the people after all they know best.

And they completely ignored the huge anti-war faction. :rolleyes:

Best do nowt then. Time for TG and a beer.

Unfortunately the government have a very difficult job, it's all very nice to say they sit there on their arses all day and have it easy, and oh how we could all do it much better than them, I'm certain there's more to it than meets the eye of the majority.

I'm not claiming I know the difficulties they face, but imagine everyone in the country signing a petition to completely remove council tax, sounds fair? We don't like paying money after all!! The government won't do it for obvious reasons, so we all shout and moan that they don't have our interests at heart, and march to London to pull them from power - is that a good idea? What do you think would really happen if nobody in the country paid council tax any more?

Now put that same argument on the fuel duty, the government have their reasons for charging what they do, you can't just say "We put you in power so do as we say", that's not how democracy works unfortunately.

Exactly. The problem, apart from everyone thinking someone else in going to sort it, is that, as Gazboy wrote, people don't like hurting themselves. If you can get over that then you have a very big chance of beating the Govt.

I don't see hurting yourself to win a battle as acceptable. We need to hurt the government yet come out relatively unscathed ourselves and I'm damned if I know how to do that. Every idea aired in the last 7 years ultimately hurts the end users of petrol far far more than the government, who in these many ideas come out without a scratch.

If I remember last time the fuel protests were held, the government claimed our schools and the NHS would suffer because they are not getting the revenue. As far as I can see we still have an NHS worthy of any third world country. We are slowly becoming the most taxed nation on earth!! Each year we are hit with new ways of the government taking our hard earned cash and squandering it.

As i said nobody needs to hurt themselves over this.

A week long protest to voice the concerns of the masses. The government will not be happy with the negative publicity they never are look what they tried to do last time, spin the strikes to say they are hurting the NHS.

The governmet can't here our concerns from an armchair or on a forum we need a public show of strength qwith the media as the outlet.