The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost Question - Nitrous Oxide Install

MarkTheBoy

Me and a mate were just talking about how installing a wet nos system would affect the level of boost on a Jspec TT BPU.

Mine for example runs about 1.1 - 1.2 ish and has a restrictor ring fitted to prevent it from climbing over this.

Would running nitrous increase the level in which the car boosts to? (ignoring the fact that the restrictor ring would prevent it)

Just wondering... anyone got any ideas?

:)

Would running nitrous increase the level in which the car boosts to? ...

You'd have a lot more exh gases produced, so you'd see higher boost figures if you don't make mechanical changes (boost controller, wastegate spring perhaps)

Have a look at the Wizards of NOS forum, they know the subject intimately.

Mark, that's all they do!

It would be the best place to go for the first layer of empirical information, so you can avoid making 'newbie' mistakes that could cost you the engine.

lol... dont get me wrong I had a really good look round the site but couldnt find out about how adding nitrous effects boost.

Loads of other really usefull information though... those guys really know their stuff! :thumbs:

Its going to vary per application but the likely hood of your boost increasing is there. It may increase just SLIGHTLY or it may spike way up. Depends on the amount of nitrous your adding as well.

Best thing to do is when your ready to spray the nitrous, do it on a controled environment like a dyno so you can quickly get out of the gas if you see something not proper.

Goodluck and keep us posted!

It does make the car boost harder when on Nos, really needs to be setup by someone that knows what they are doing on a dyno imo, had mine so it retarded the ignition by 2 degree when activated to stop it running lean.

Retarding the ignition has nowt to do with how lean or rich it runs :) In this case pulling some timing counteracts the artificial raising of the compression ratio that nitrous causes and avoids detonation from that source.

-Ian