The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Trackdays/Single's - Noise???

Pig

A lot of the M-Power & Porsche boys use 100 cell race cats, this may be an avenue worth investigating.

Fair point Gaz, I've had a quick look around and found an example 100 cell cat, but it weighs 10lbs ( ~4.5kg )

If combined with a Ti exhaust system which weighs similar amounts, it pretty much doubles the weight of the system and negates the need for it.

I was looking at a Ti system to reduce weight - but looking at this it's not worth the cost in terms of parts and fabrication to get it 'quite' enough to use on track.

The money can be spent elsewhere in the car reducing weight.

I'm not sure what the SUS systems weigh, but it looks like we're only talking about a few kilos for all that cost - not very good in the £/kg scheme.

( I think I've basically justified what Chris has said above :blink: )

Also, does an external waste gate without screamer pipe make less noise than with one?

I have the wastegate externally vented, but it has the standard pipe attached.

Fair point Gaz, I've had a quick look around and found an example 100 cell cat, but it weighs 10lbs ( ~4.5kg )

I wouldn't worry about 4.5kg, it's so low down and so near the CoG I doubt you'd notice it, and it be enable you to get onto cheaper noise restricted trackdays so could pay for itself.

I was looking at a Ti system to reduce weight - but looking at this it's not worth the cost in terms of parts and fabrication to get it 'quite' enough to use on track.

Is that a full ti system?

I bought the HKS 4" Ti, if its to save weight I wouldnt bother, its a load of bollocks, only the back box is titanium, the main pipe is stainless, and heavy, a 3" is all you really need up to crazy horse power anyhow, but I bet the cost of a fab'd ti system would be mega expensive?

A cat being used as a silencer is a bit like a phone being used as a camera. Both work after a fashion, but a dedicated tool will work better, cheaper.

I was thinking of two birds, one stone. Would save having to get the cats fitted for MOT's, which I find a pain in the arse for a 2 minute emmisions test.

Is that a full ti system?

I bought the HKS 4" Ti, if its to save weight I wouldnt bother, its a load of bollocks, only the back box is titanium, the main pipe is stainless, and heavy, a 3" is all you really need up to crazy horse power anyhow, but I bet the cost of a fab'd ti system would be mega expensive?

I'm talking about a full Ti system - well at least from the downpipe.

I wouldn't worry about 4.5kg, it's so low down and so near the CoG I doubt you'd notice it, and it be enable you to get onto cheaper noise restricted trackdays so could pay for itself.

Gaz - my point was, as an exercise in reducing weight... theres no point paying for a Ti system weighing 4.5kg to then go and add a 4.5kg cat to it.

As I said, the £/kg ratio would make other weight reductions better vfm.

For better CoG I'd rather replace the door glass and rear screen with plexi-glass which also reduces overall weight.

That's a point, I was thinking about weight loss the other night- if you have plexi-glass fixed windows, are they easy to break if you can't open the doors in an accident?

Absolutely no idea - although its a valid point...

I'd have door and rear hatch, so that leaves the front windscreen and rear quarters in glass ( which are useless in this point )