The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PC problems - please help

CJ

Some of you may have seen a thread I started last night asking for advice on trojans. Well, I downloaded Trojan Hunter and it found four of the buggers. I deleted them and thought all was then well but once i restarted my computer it would not access the internet.

I had our (sort of) IT guy look at it and it has stumped him. It wont allow access to the broadband that I have via a zoom router nor will it allow internet access. It is as if it does not recognise that the router is there and does notsee any signal coming from BT broadband.

I have now taken that machine off and hooked up an old machine and it is running fine. Internet, email and everything else is AOK. So, should I just wipe clean the new machine and start again or is there something I should try first?

Please remember I am to computers what dude is to modesty :D

Im interested in this also it has happened twice to me and the only way i have got it to work again is to use a sytem restore. Not sure this is the best way or even if it has got rid on the pesky trojans ..But it got me online again so is there a better way???????

I've seen "newDOTnet domains" do this. new.net and it's associated other shit (one called "Save") also does it.

See if Save/SaveNow/NetNow/New.net/something along those lines is in the add/remove programs control panel, and if so remove them & restart, see if that helps.

failing that, if you're on windows xp, the following might fix you up:

start -> run -> "cmd" [enter]

in the command window, type:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt [enter]

then restart the computer

if that doesn't work I have a nice util that does a bit more than the above does.

ok dude, but if it IS Windows XP and he starts scratching his head after a while, do him a favour and at least suggest he try running this:

http://www2.css-networks.com/WinsockXPFix.exe

it fits on a floppy and doesn't need installing or anything - it just fixes the windows IP networking which seems to get screwed fairly commonly. It's done my head in often enough!