The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Not the best experiance test drive

Guest ilogik

Guest DaveWilko

My TT still feels slower than my Golf 1.8T (230bhp). I know the Supra is a lot faster but it just doesn't feel it! The Golf gives you a great shove in the back when the turbo starts boosting. I imagine the cupra and MR2T would be the same. Forget how it feels - just find a 'cough' private road and floor the throttle and watch the speedo needle from about 50 on. On my TT it goes from 50 to 100 as quick as it takes to read the first 2 sentences in this reply

When I nail the throttle in mine it kicks down and all hell breaks loose. Much faster than any MR2 Turbo I've driven :D

The power delivery is very different though, the MR2 is violent at BPU whereas my TT is like a CVT in it's margic carpet ride like smooth delivery of massive torque :)

If you're used to having a turbo, buy the TT. The only reason I can see not to is initial purchase price. Insurance on the TT tends to be less and running costs similar but that's entirely dependant on whether you leave it alone or mod it.

Cheers,

Brian.

My TT still feels slower than my Golf 1.8T (230bhp). ...

Yes, it is deceptively smooth.

I too was underwhelmed when test-driving TTs, being used to tuned 2lt turbos.

But if you time them the difference is clear.

Especially the auto TT feels lethargic and gutless compared to the 'push' you get from 2lt turbos coming on boost hard. But don't let that fool you, at high speeds it's hard to catch.